reformatting

E-Jipt

Baseband Member
is it possible to reformat my harddrive but save certain files on it without burning a cd or usb storage?

Not unless you have separate partitions. Even then, if you are formatting the whole drive, then no. Gotta back it up somewhere.

spank_fusion said:
Not unless you have separate partitions. Even then, if you are formatting the whole drive, then no. Gotta back it up somewhere.

formatting wipes out the entire drive. if they are some small files, invest in a floppy disk. or you could get one of those internet upload sites like http://www.streamload.com and upload your files there and then reformat. then go back there and download the files again.

i could partition it right and reformat the part that I want. What should I use as far as programs go?

That should work. There are many programs but the only one I can remember is called partition magic.

Well, partitioning deletes all the files on the drive. You'd have to reformat to get the partition in there which kind of defeats the purpose.

If u make partitions by the windows installing thingy then yes. But I though that with partition magic the files on the hdd will not be deleted.

daemon said:
If u make partitions by the windows installing thingy then yes. But I though that with partition magic the files on the hdd will not be deleted.

no, once you have windows installed on a drive, you can't repartition it without reformatting first...which as spank fusion said, defeats the purpose of what he wants to do. your best bet is to get disc's or do that online storage thing that I suggested. or another idea, if maybe you have another hard drive laying around, install it in your computer, set it at slave and then just drag and drop files from the first hard drive to the second. then do your reformatting and everything, then go back to the slave drive and get the files back.

so even if I use a program like partitionmagic or something else it will format the entire drive in doing so?

well I never used it before but,

"Partition Magic allows you to create, resize and merge partitions on your hard drive without destroying data. Partition Magic helps organize and protect your data, run multiple operating systems, convert file system types and fix partition table errors."

Without destroying data = no files deleted?

So according to that it could do what this guy is asking for.
But as I said I never used it so I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom