New CPU?

Mattyl110792

Daemon Poster
Hi there,

I have got a celeron 2.4ghz and want to upgrade it to a pentium 4 2.8 or 3.0 ghz. I have looked at my motherboard's specifications and found that it can handle a P4 3.6, but how do i go about putting a new CPU in? Is it a matter of put it in and away you go, or is it alot more complicated than that??

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanking you,

Matt

It's pretty simple to do. Here's a website directly from Intel on how to install a new Pentium 4 CPU:

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-007989.htm

Browse down to about the middle of the page or maybe just a little bit more below that point and you'll see some very detailed explanations including pictures on installing a CPU. By reading that, it should make it easier. When you do buy a CPU retail, it will come with a huge poster showing you step by step instructions also. So colorful.

It's just what you said. Put it on, fasten it, and ready to go. CPUs use zero insertion force so it should only go in one way and plumps into the socket smoothly. You pull down the lever after that and the CPU is on!!! On the bottom of the heatsink, there are normally a thin layer of thermal compound so when it makes contact with the CPU, it helps to transfer some of that heat out. Now for the heatsink/fan. This can get a little tricky. There are retention clips from the heatsink that need to lineup with the bracket so it will have a snug fit when you lock it up.

Your welcome. After you install several of these baby's it gets pretty routine. You'll be at the point where you won't even need instructions. There's no drivers or any other software to install if you're concerned about that. It's just plugging it in and start surfing the net.

dont forget about ur artic silver thermal past. i heard some people use thermal pads hwo are they in comparison?

Thermal pads are cheap but well do it's job. Arctic Silver's thermal paste on the other hand does an excellent job of heat transfer. This type of thermal compound comes with 79% to 82% pure micronized silver content. Micronized silver is the material used to produce the thermal conductivity as far as I know. So the more percentage of micronized silver content, the better.

The Arctic Silver is one of the leaders in this department, whereas other thermal compounds have no where near this amount of silver.

Back
Top Bottom