Build Or Buy?

wozelbeak

Daemon Poster
i was wondering if anyone has an oppinion on wether it is better value, to build your own p.c, or buy off the shelf?
the p.c would be for alround use.
i have built a alrounder for my sister in law for about £550. but there are plenty of places selling fairly good rigs for that sort of money these days.
woz

I'd say its cheaper to build your own.

I mean, even if you are getting good deals when buying, your not getting the components you want, and you don't get that something extra, which you do get if you build your own.

You get alot from it, and you must know since you've built one :p

I would say building one is more satisfying and less expensive in some cases. You will notice a huge difference if you were to build your own high performance machine than buying one. In that case, it's cheaper to build than buy.

I like what PC makers are doing in terms of lowering the price on complete systems. It looks very attractive and you're not really spending that much on a nice system. But I just hate the cheap crappy parts they put into those machines. Man, drivers are hard to find.

If you're looking for a complete system with everything (monitors, keyboard, etc) a complete system made by manufacturers can be cheaper. THat's my opinion. I've had people come up to me to see if I can build them a PC. They tell me, "how much will it cost?" Keep in mind they want a complete system and on a budget, I told them it may cost anywhere from $800 and higher plus labor. For $800, they could've have easily buy a system in stores.

Building is much better and I am so happy mine is about complete..

Update: My burner should be here today or tomorrow and the ram I have no idea they got me confused..

most people who want you to build a system for them, would look in the superstores and see good rigs for less £$. i have looked at what the manufacturers are putting into these rigs nowadays, and it makes good reading. they get reduced prices by mass buying, so it does become a close call i think.
woz

Well building one urself is a better option. Just coz they stick the cheapest parts they can in the pc. And almost everytime u start looking like "what a great system, has a high performance amd processor 2 gb of ram and... and fx5500 :D" That's how it always goes, good parts but one crappy one always finds its way there. And usually the mobos and PSUs arent the best ones around. And usually it just says like 1GB ddr ram. And u go like yeah thats nice. Then when u realize that it's something like ddr200 u are not saying "yeah thats nice" And ofcourse, as usual, there is no mention of the speed of the memory so u can only assume it to be ddr200 or something like that.

Also sometimes these computers are hard to upgrade, because of the mobo or because it's just made so that its not easy to change the parts.
So building ur own all the way.

3 good things about each
build:
1) More for your money
2) no inferior parts
3) self pride
Buy:
1) no hassel
2)mainly better warnty
3) less chance of damaging parts

All of you saying its cheaper to buld your own pc, consider this. Dell has a low end computer for I beleive $299 after rebates, which is a lot cheaper then i think i could build that computer with similar specs for (includes monitor and stuffers). Normally when you get to to the middle to higher end computers no doubt its cheaper to build your own. 550 euros is about 650 dollars, so, at that point it's probably going to begin to be cheaper then to buy one off the shelf, but it really depends what kind of computer. If your looking for a low end computer, buying off the shelf is usually cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom