Amd and Intel (not a thread about which one is better)

mammikoura

Golden Master
I could have posted this also in the processors section, but I think that more ppl view this forum so I put it here. If u mods want to relocate this well... I can't stop u now can I? :)

So I have build a few systems before, but they have been intel everytime or then one time was amd I don't remeber, I have a really bad memory.

So there basicly isn't any difference in installing an amd to installing an intel? And u just shove the cpu in (the right way ofcourse) and then put the heatsink on? And do u apply thermal paste onto the cpu or the heatsink or does this even matter? :D And the processors come with some thermal paste or do u have to buy it separately? I know, stupid questions but I just have to make sure that I get it right since it's not my computer I'm building. :D

Also any other help is appreciated (sp?) since it's a long time since I build my last system. And as I said my memory sucks so I don't remember anything about it. :D

They install the same way or should be. I never purchased an Intel CPU before but logic tells me that socket CPUs only have one way to install. Make sure the pins are lined up and match the little triangle on the CPU match the triange corner of the socket (its square shaped but the pinless area looks like a triangle). Don't know if that makes any sense, but you'll know if it doesn't fit. It uses zero insertion force so if it doesn't fit one way, turn it and insert it again until is just drops into the socket. Then pull the lever down and bam, CPU inserted.

Heatsinks, if you buy them RETAIL, should have thermal compound already applied to the bottom of them. All you have to do is to take off the piece of paper that seals it, and place the whole heatsink onto the CPU itself. Push down on the retention springs and lock it up for a very snug fit. That's it.

OEM CPUs, you will have to buy Arctic Silver and apply a spot on the CPU itself and lay the heatsink on top of that.

Okay thanks. And what core (for amd) would u suggest? I though about getting a venice core. Are there any better ones? The cpu is going to be amd 64 something, not sure about the speed yet.

Spank thanks for those instructions. Usefull and the 1st sentence answered all of my questions. It went like this:
"Don't put it in your mouth. ." :D :D

But I think that I won't mess with the thermal paste, I'll just get a retail heatsink so that they already have it on them.

Somehow I'm scared that I brake something though I was messing around with an old pc and was changing like all of the parts from some other old computers that weren't in use and it booted up the 1st time I tried it. But then again that was some ancient piece of technology and now I'm building a good pc so that's prolly why I'm scared (and exited ofcourse)

Opteronix Guide to Installing and AMD Processor:

1). Lift the ZIF bar so the Socket goes into rise mode.

2). place the CPU carefully onto the socket with the pins correctly aligned. It should sit nicely into the socket with NO effort!

3). Once the processor is sitting PERFECTLY in the ZIF socket, push the ZIF bar back down (a little resistance is normal).

4). Apply thermal compound (about the size of your pinky fingernail) and use a CREDIT CARD or similar card to spread the thermal compound evenly onto the top of the CPU, ensuring it is thing, but not too thin (aka, about 1mm).

5). Carefully lower the heatsink DIRECTLY ON TOP of the CPU maintaining a HORIZONTAL PLANE at all TIMES. Then, close the retraction bar and lock the heatsink in place.

6). Turn on the PC, and ENJOY AMD.

Seriously man, you need to stop giving information. That's a terrible way to apply thermal paste, and way too much of it at that. Ask anyone else on the forums. Anyway, just use the Arctic Silver instructions I posted, and you'll be fine (unless of course you get a heatsink with the pad on it).

spank_fusion said:
Seriously man, you need to stop giving information. That's a terrible way to apply thermal paste, and way too much of it at that. Ask anyone else on the forums. Anyway, just use the Arctic Silver instructions I posted, and you'll be fine (unless of course you get a heatsink with the pad on it).

Really? So that is why my X2 @ 3.0GHz idles at.... 31C!! yes it is... stop arguing everything with me child... it grows weary on my nerves.... It is a great way to apply thermal compound, and not too much you dope! It is roughly the same amount as your instructions, just with the assurance that... oh yeah.. it spreads EVENLY, which ArticSIlver5 doesn't always do. Please.. just stop talking. Do you wish to go contest my development of a sound card with more naive knowledge??

An even spread of paste is unneccessary considering that the die which produces the heat is a much smaller area in the center of the processor. And a grain of rice is a lot smaller than the size of your fingertip. Try comparing the two someday.

Anyway, if you want to apply paste in that fashion, I don't really care. It's not my computer. However, it's not good to show how to do something wrong to someone who has never done it. Bad role model!

And another thing, all this bickering you are doing with me is interfering with the thread topics. Please stop - it's disrespectful to the thread starter.

Back
Top Bottom