Psp ?

No, UMD doesn't use the same technology as mini-disc did. For one thing, mini-discs use a magnetic form of storage like Floppy disks, and so aren't read in the same way.

i dont think they are mengetic cos i cracked one open and it is a small cd (shiny).... can i buy a minidisk drive for my comp?

From what I hear, you just burn music on a MiniDisk through the MD Player itself (the MD Player is connected to the computer via USB etc).

The UMD is essentially a 1.8gb disk that's encased in that plastic casing that you seen in that picture I posted. But, you can't just take out a MiniDisk and slip it in to a UMD case just to see if it will work. It won't...the UMD and MD use completely different formats, and the disk's actual size may be different. In essence, you could say that the UMD is a evolved version of the MiniDisk, but for Games and Movies only. If you want to have music in your PSP, use the Memory Stick Duo PRO.

yeah, but I know for sure, or atleast the recordable versions of mini-disks are magnetic, even if they are discs.

I have no idea why people are getting confused about the two though :p
They will not bring out burnable UMD's, because for one thing, they'd have to make a new disc cababple of being burnt to, and I doubt they'd go into that much trouble (which is why they probably made it use DUO memory sticks) so games can't be copied.

The disks anyway are almost unbreakable if you think about it, compared to a normal cd/dvd-rom anyway. When you had megadrive games, etc. You didn't want to burn them for backups did you?

Kage said:
yeah, but I know for sure, or atleast the recordable versions of mini-disks are magnetic, even if they are discs.

I have no idea why people are getting confused about the two though :p
They will not bring out burnable UMD's, because for one thing, they'd have to make a new disc cababple of being burnt to, and I doubt they'd go into that much trouble (which is why they probably made it use DUO memory sticks) so games can't be copied.

The disks anyway are almost unbreakable if you think about it, compared to a normal cd/dvd-rom anyway. When you had megadrive games, etc. You didn't want to burn them for backups did you?

They won't come out with blank and burnable UMD's because the first thing that comes to people's minds is PIRACY. Some may use it for music, but the vast majority will abuse it to use it for emulated games, which reaps millions out of our Gaming Industry every year. When I pay $50 for a game and it's well made and fun, then they deserve every penny.

BluRay could easily do a better form of UMB, being that a standard disk can fit 56GB, therefore.. by that math... and diameter vs bit depth, IN THEORY, a UMD sized BluRay disk could fit 18GBs.

Back
Top Bottom