low fps on brand new computer

Opteronix said:
WHOA NO!! No it cannot! No chip can take temps that high! That is 248 degrees F!! AHH!! NO!!! Actually, that is the critical redux point of CSP (where the silicon breaks down). Yes, the 6800GT can not artifcact maybe until 70-80C (depending on your chip), but it's lifetime will be greatly reduced even at those temperatures.

actually you are wrong. my MSI 6600gt just starts to slow down at 127c. 68 is kinda high but not enough to get the fps to go down.

rocksta828 said:
i just bought a P4 640 prescott 3.2 ghz processor with a 6800gt nvidia card...and when i play CS:S (or any other high quality game) i get about 30 fps average with like 17fps when i encounter an enemy and start firing. Does anyone have any idea why my system is running so poorly? My friend who has a 2600 amd chip with an older ati 9600 card is getting an average of 75 fps...

i would go through device manager and make sure that all the right hardware is listed. also in CS:S video settings make sure Vsinc(i think thats what it's called) isn't on. also try to turn down the settings just to test what happens.

Opteronix said:
WHOA NO!! No it cannot! No chip can take temps that high! That is 248 degrees F!! AHH!! NO!!! Actually, that is the critical redux point of CSP (where the silicon breaks down). Yes, the 6800GT can not artifcact maybe until 70-80C (depending on your chip), but it's lifetime will be greatly reduced even at those temperatures.

Yes vid cards can take 120C. But ofcourse running close to these temps will have a huge effect in the lifetime of the card.

rocksta828 said:
today i put on my new heatsink and fan and some arctic silver 5 and it brought my temperature down to 60 celsius.

It also takes time for the arctic silver 5 to start working to the best of it's potential. So like in one week the temps could go a little lower.

Back
Top Bottom