Whats a good graphic card core clock speed

My opinion is that you would find it hard to get any decent graphical performance on the games you stated with the GeForce FX5500. I mean your original question was what is a good core clock speed, and well the highest end cards (specifically the ATI Radeon X850XT) have about 540MHz, and another example (specifically the nVidia GeForce 7800GTX) will have from 400MHz up to 490MHz. So the 290MHz from the FX5500 is really brought into focus when you compare it to the top end cards.

But rememeber that you can overclock your graphics card to get more out of it. Some people have overclocked the nVidia GeForce 7800GTX (mentioned above) to 720MHz core clock speed (nearly double!). But that is an extreme case, and if you were to over clock that FX5500, you could get around the 350MHz figure I think.

Now unfortunately, as you're looking at cards like the FX5500, I guess you have an PCI motherboard which limits the graphics cards you can get. This means that the ATI Radeon X850XT and nVidia GeForce 7800GTX is out of your league unfortunately :( I'm not too sure on how the PCI market is at the moment, but that card you have there I think is one of the best PCI cards out. Unfortunately, Osak thinks you have an AGP motherboard, but you don't and so you cannot get a 6600GT to fit your system, but as he said, try Newegg for those cards, and try to avoid Bestbuy.

Hope that helps!

That FX 5500 might be able to play Half-Life 2 on low settings, but definately not Battlefield 2 (partly thanks to EA Games' horrible graphics engines) and probably won't handle Call of Duty 2.

See if u can find a fx5700 (256mb)

They are cheap and maybe available in PCI

I could run hl2 with max settings with that card and doom 3 too. I can play FEAR like almost all of the options in max, some in high, medium and low and then some stuff like dynamic lights is completely off. Get something like 30-60fps and it looks quite good.

But ofcourse if u have a mobo that supports agp or pci-e then go for those cards. And preferably get atleast 6600GT so that u don't need to upgrade so soon.

daemon said:
See if u can find a fx5700 (256mb)

They are cheap and maybe available in PCI

I could run hl2 with max settings with that card and doom 3 too. I can play FEAR like almost all of the options in max, some in high, medium and low and then some stuff like dynamic lights is completely off. Get something like 30-60fps and it looks quite good.

But ofcourse if u have a mobo that supports agp or pci-e then go for those cards. And preferably get atleast 6600GT so that u don't need to upgrade so soon.

Umm.. I was under the impression that the FX5700 wasn't able to run FEAR on MAX.. maybe medium.. FEARs engine is optomized, no doubt, but still..... mostly MAX?? It can RUN DooM3, just on Medium. HL2 isn't all that demanding believe it or not...

This is the BEST you can get for PCI...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814139166

or this:
HAHAHAH! 8 Visual Processing Units on ONE card... LMAO
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...de=M&Product_Code=190382&Category_Code=VC-PCI

dingchavez65 said:
SO what is a good graphic card core clock speeed, what does it do, and does it matter?

BTW is this a good PCI graphics card and can it handle games like Bf2 Cod 2, half life 2

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=cat01151&type=product&tab=4&id=1099392683347

It doesn't matter at ALL for the most part BTW... I hate to double post, but it won't fit in with my stuff already typed above, so I am going to get away with it this time.

The 7800GTX runs at 450MHz, while the ATi Radeon x850XT Plat Ed runs at 540MHz.... yet, the 7800GTX nearly DOUBLES (about 1.67X) the performance of the might x850XT Plat Ed.

alvino said:
Yup. You can thank the 7800 GTX's 24 pipelines for that.

Indeed you can, and the optimized core that is actually built with HDR ability, so the card doesn't have to "try" to create things, it inherently does them.

Back
Top Bottom