Dust!!!!

Kage said:
woh...hehe...I hope you didn't put the PSU in there too?...

Yes I did.. and it was still wet when I started it. Distilled water isn't conductive, so you could start a PC submerged in it, and nothing adverse would happen.

Wow, thats weird...
Whats the difference in that water then. Whats taken out?

Thats so weird...I'm rather shocked, but I get the principle of it.

Okay, so another question then. If you put electronics in normal water and let it dry out completley...how come it doesn't work then? Even though its dry?

Kage said:
Wow, thats weird...
Whats the difference in that water then. Whats taken out?

Thats so weird...I'm rather shocked, but I get the principle of it.

Okay, so another question then. If you put electronics in normal water and let it dry out completley...how come it doesn't work then? Even though its dry?

Because normal water has minerals in it, and those conduct electricity. So, when you let things dry, small particles of iron get into things and NaCl (Salt) etc and create "links" between resistors etc and cause a short which destroys the circuits.

Oh, thanks :) Makes alot of sense now, sorry.
Haven't done chemistry in rather a while. I just knew it fried it.

I'm still not a fan of putting £1600 of new components in distilled water :) I'll stick to buying a can of compressed air, or special brushes :) Gives me peace of mind.... I don't think I could bring myself to put my 7800GTX in water :(

spank_fusion said:
Water is a weak conductor but a conductor nonetheless. Submerging it is one thing, but starting it before it dried was not a good idea. You were lucky.

Here's some reference.
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen01/gen01783.htm
http://scienceathome.cienciaviva.pt/conduti_agua_eng.html

Once again, you realize what a low value that is?? HAHHAHAH! That is less conductive then PLASTIC!! HAHAHAH!! yeah, thanks for once again proving my chemistry point, you are good at that!

I wasn't lucky, I was smart, I knew what I was doing thank you very much.

TRDCorolla, yes, the GeilONE RAM is AMAZING. I have mine at 518MHz and timings are 2-2-3-5. The TCCD chips are remarkable. BTW, about that blower you wanted to build below the graphics card... you don't need it. The G70 series GPUs (4400, 4500Quadros and 7800GT/GTX) run very COOL. No need for crazy cooling.

I quote your source:

Question - Pure water is a poor conductor (rather than a
non-conductor) of electricity. What is the electrical conductivity of pure
water and what type of instrumentation would be required to indicate the
conductivity?
-----------------
Conductivity is typically measured in Mhos, or Micromhos. very well purified
water can typically be brought as low as .1-.2 micromhos.

Back
Top Bottom