Intel Pentium D processor

ownage said:
your wrong, average people have achieved that kind of overclock, plenty of them. 3000+ is a very low budget processor, a 3200+ is also a budget, and that also can go up to 2.7.

Average people with very good motherboard. Most budget motherboards cannot achieve a stable 300MHz FSB, and most value RAM can not even get close, let alone succeed. Asynchronous OCing is also not all that great, even though I do it...

Opteronix said:
Um, average people cannot achieve that type of overclock... but congrats if you did, very nice.

Regarding this issue... Pentium Ds are utter piles of garbage. Intel took two Pentium4 Prescott 90nm cores with enhanced sealed pipelines and put them on a chip with a logics processor to control both. Basically, a real world example of this would be:

You are driving down the road in a ferarri and your friend is in the other lane in a porsche. You are both going VERY FAST, and then a big semi truck takes up both lanes, and you have to go around him. What do you do? SLOW DOWN... which is what data does when it hit the logics processor, it slows WAY DOWN. Sorry, PentiumDs produce FAR TOO MUCH HEAT, and TERRIBLY INEFFICIENT with 62 pipelines total (AMD AthlonX2s have.. um....14....), and the PentiumD uses... 135+ watts!! AHH!! What is that/!?!? AMD X2s use 85!! 85!! Holy... such waste Intel.

Once again, another reason why AMD is better than Intel...

Thank you, Opteronix, for more details on why the Pentium D absolutely sucks. :D

But errr...if anyone doesn't mind me asking, how much more power would an X2 3800+ consume, if overclocked (i read an article where it was OC'd to 2.5GHz)? Would the wattage be comparable to that of a Pentium D? By that, i mean, doing work, not idle, as i assume Cool 'n' Quiet would keep its energy consumption as low as it would be at stock speed.

acphenom said:
Thank you, Opteronix, for more details on why the Pentium D absolutely sucks. :D

But errr...if anyone doesn't mind me asking, how much more power would an X2 3800+ consume, if overclocked (i read an article where it was OC'd to 2.5GHz)? Would the wattage be comparable to that of a Pentium D? By that, i mean, doing work, not idle, as i assume Cool 'n' Quiet would keep its energy consumption as low as it would be at stock speed.

Cool and Quiet actually slows down the processor. If you overclock , you MUST NOT use it, because it can cause things to crash. Cool & Quiet uses the AMD's multiplier and lowers it a varying rates. It underclocks the processor during times when the full speed isn't needed to save energy and lower fan speeds and cool temperatures. So, for example, in the windows environment typing a Word document, and AMD 3500+ will drop to 600-800MHz to save power.

No, AMD's, even when MASSIVELY OCed, never gain more then 15watts to the operating leveling. Basically, that means that a 3800+ uses 69watts currently, so the most it will use OCed would be basically 85watts. The dual core 4800+ can use up to and not exceeding 100watts.

You can forget about all the Intel processors now. In 2006, we'll be seeing a whole new level of performance starting with the new Extreme Edition processor during the first quarter in 06. Numbered the 955, the processor will be dual core, support four threaded computing, have a total of 4MB of cache, and clock at 3.46GHz with a 1066MHz bus. This CPU will be produced using a 65 nanometre process.

Intel is also repositioning its motherboards into the Extreme Series, the Media Series, and the Executive Series, with a long list of recommended software. Thought you guys like to know...

alvino said:
All I can't wait for is the Yonah...:) a Dual-Core Pentium M...

Turion X2... dual core Turion at half a watt per cyclic system.. :)

Oh, and your stats on the new EE chip are wrong TRDCorolla... the newer Pentiums based on the Conroe core will have far fewer pipelines, meaning, speeds NO WHERE near that high, 3.0GHz TOPS, maybe 3.2, that is PUSHING IT.

The Conroe turns out won't be released until possibly late 2006, early 2007 at the latest.

As far as the specs on Conroe, it's a possibility they can reach that high. But I believe for now, you are right about the specs being lower. I think it may be around 2.8, 3GHz give or take a few. It may have pipelines of 20 or fewer compared to modern day P4s which has like a lot. We'll see when the time comes what the official specs are.

Opteronix said:
Cool and Quiet actually slows down the processor. If you overclock , you MUST NOT use it, because it can cause things to crash. Cool & Quiet uses the AMD's multiplier and lowers it a varying rates. It underclocks the processor during times when the full speed isn't needed to save energy and lower fan speeds and cool temperatures. So, for example, in the windows environment typing a Word document, and AMD 3500+ will drop to 600-800MHz to save power.

No, AMD's, even when MASSIVELY OCed, never gain more then 15watts to the operating leveling. Basically, that means that a 3800+ uses 69watts currently, so the most it will use OCed would be basically 85watts. The dual core 4800+ can use up to and not exceeding 100watts.

Wow, sounds great, except for the Cool 'n' Quiet part, but i always thought that C'n'Q was harmless. I mean, if you're reading a long, one-page webpage article, surely it can't hurt to run the CPU slower, keeping the whole PC quieter and cooler at the same time?

I have my switched off, but for some reason, the CPU fan speed still seems to slow down and speed up at times...

Even when it was on though, and my motherboard can support it, the clock speed didn't seem to drop (I have a guru clock which shows the clocks, etc) but the PC slowed down an awful lot when I needed it most... weird huh?

Back
Top Bottom