Defrag Function Problem

I swear the safe mode might help, but I guess not. A program running in the background, such an anti-virus program has a tendency to interrupt the process because it is always keeping track of changes made on the hard drive. So before you defrag your hard drive you need to make sure that all potentially interfering programs are off. This is quite easily done. Anti-virus programs normally run from the System Tray. That's the little cluster of icons in the bottom right hand corner of the Windows screen. To figure out what does what roll your mouse over an icon and a little message box will pop up and tell you what the icon does. Once you have identified the anti-virus icon right click on it to display a menu. In the case of Norton Anti-Virus an option to "Disable Auto-Protect" will pop up. If you click on it will turn Norton Anti-Virus off.

There may be other applications that also get in the way of a successful defrag. You can turn any suspected program off in a similar way outlined above. Also be sure to turn your screensaver off. Go to Start, then Settings then Control Panel and double-click on Display, then the Screen Saver tab. In the pulldown box, select "None" and click Ok.

i have had this problem with 2 computers running ME i solved it by downloading a defrag program and using that instead of using the one built into windows

DO NOT USE WINDOWS ME.... they made sucha bodge of it thay made t pretty hard to buy any more. it was the "BUG SYSTEM" im sure they just got every bug possible from all prevoius versions of windows and crammed them all over the place in This o\s i believe they also tested a few newer bugs on it too (XP). LMFAO!!!! =D:D

If you want a MANS o/s gofor Windows 2kpro

-C4SPER

have you tried downloading all the latest patches?? that could help??? if not why dont you just use a different disk defrag program?? there are plenty out there to download and it does the jov the same if not better!

Back
Top Bottom