Bandwidth

roland poland

Baseband Member
Alright I don't know much about computers so don't kill me. I was just wondering, when you download something into your pc from the net, it takes bandwidth, but if I cancel the download do I still lose bandwidth?

yep .. try a isp with out limits ... the one i use is tesco brodband £15/month no limits pretty good if ye ask me

roland poland said:
Alright I don't know much about computers so don't kill me. I was just wondering, when you download something into your pc from the net, it takes bandwidth, but if I cancel the download do I still lose bandwidth?

Well, bandwidth is the amount of data that can be transmitted in a fixed amount of time. Your "bandwidth" is available to you whenever you need it.

EliteGamer said:
I use Verizon online DSL. It's... about 200KB-1.5 MB a sec. Not bad, but it's about $32.00 a month.

Wait.. what??? So do you mean 1.5Mbits/sec download rate? That would make sense... 1.5MBYTES/sec is crazy.

1.5mb crazy? Not really. Why dont you use Plus Net (www.plus.net)

£29.99 month no limits 1mb downloads therr is lots of talk of it going to 2mb at no extra cost!!!

thomas49th said:
1.5mb crazy? Not really. Why dont you use Plus Net (www.plus.net)

£29.99 month no limits 1mb downloads therr is lots of talk of it going to 2mb at no extra cost!!!

No no, 1.5MB is different from 1.5MB. Lowercase b's = bits while upper case B's = BYTES.

8 bits= 1 BYTE
1000BYTES= 1KB =8000bits = 8Kb
1000bits= 1Kb

etc. No, I am at MIT, the internet here is OC192, plenty fast enough, servers cannot output at speeds to keep up, so I don't need to worry. Curse our 10GB per day limit though!

OMG ... OC192 is extremely fast if you ask me !
I can get speeds of up to 3 megabytes per second ... i am through a cable like with a 12 gb limit ... i usually take up all the bandwidth in my family, i am the one who plays the computer all day !

Back
Top Bottom