usb causing problems in windows

gartht799

Baseband Member
I recently put together a new system and am having problems with the usb ports. Windows seems to work okay until I plug anything into a usb port. When I do, windows recognizes the hardware and I use the cd which came with the hardware to install the device. After that time, one of two things happen. Either windows locks up or it gets stuck in a loop in which it loads, the desktop comes on and then it reboots. This happens over and over again. I have the wake jumpers on the motherboard disabled and I disable the wake feature on the Ethernet port. The other weird thing is that when I plug in my webcam into one of the ports, the light stays on all the time, whether the pc is on or not. The hardware worked fine before so I know its not that and the drivers all seem to be working okay and updated.

Are you absolutely sure the drivers are updated? What about Windows, do you have all the updates? There could be a hardware conflict somewhere. Try different RAM - that might help.

As for the light staying on even if the computer's off - some motherboards keep some residual power on even if the system is off. I've experienced this with a Gigabyte motherboard on which the mouse's optical light stayed on even if the computer was off.

I checked the drivers and when I updated them, windows logged onto the net and then stated that it couldn't find any better devices. The weird thing was that under usb ports in the deice manager, it listed around 10 different usb hubs, some stating "intel something or other" and then a few with "usb root". I only have four usb ports so shouldn't only four ports be listed? I also did a windows update and no updates were avaialbe. So the light staying on isn't a big deal? I was thinking of reformatting my HD and starting over but then I have to reactive windows and that just sucks. They treat you like a criminal as if you stole a copy. I hate to do that and still have the same problem persist. Thanks for your help.

I'm sorry I forgot to list my specs. Here they are:

ABIT IC7-G motherboard
4-512MB RAM from Dell, total 2GB
Two hard drives, 30GB IDE Western Digital and 80GB Maxtor SATA
3.0 GHz Northwood Intel with HT CPU
Windows XP

It states it is SP2. That would mean that there are no other service packs available, right?

But that's what damn Microsoft get for making activation so complicated. I hate them for that. I know what you mean about reformat and reinstall, then getting it activated by a phone call (if you activate it so many times). I give them my reason and that's it. They can't do anything else. I mean, I'm a paying customer.

As far as serivce packs go, SP2 is the newest out. The light on. My mouse light always stay on even when the PC is off. It uses LED anyways so they'll burn it in like a 100 years or so. But the wierd thing is that my webcam light turns off but not my mouse. My mouse has a USB/PS2 convertor on there so it's plugged into the PS/2 port while the USB webcam is just USB. Strange. I give up on that. I'm just going to build a new system coming up.

See if you can delete the CD device in the Device Manager and detect it again.

I don't understand how you guys are having so many problems with activation. It's just a few mouse clicks. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the info on the webcam light, I thought my PC was possesed. When I got to activate windows I try the internet which never works, then talk to the automated voice which is a pain. I then get the code from the automated voice which then activates the software. However, if you do it more then once or twice, they connect you to a person overseas who you can't understand. They want to know why you activated twice in one week and then they read you a code with that broken english accent which you can barely understand. When you ask them to repeat it, they cope an attitude. You feel like strangling them but you can't because you need that damn code.

Back
Top Bottom