driver drama!!

cantona

Daemon Poster
Hi

I have the 66.93 display drivers for my 6600GT and i wanted to update to the 77.77 drivers. I went into add/remove programs and uninstalled nvidia drivers. Unfortunately I think i was supposed to just go into device manager, 6600gt, uninstall display driver...and just uninstall the display driver instead of the whole lot.

I restarted my PC and the new hardware found popped up and thats when i realised I should of gone through the "device manager" to uninstall just the display driver and I must have uninstalled all of the drivers.

I cancelled the new hardware found and done a system restore and it seemed to restore my system back to how it was (it had my old 66.93 driver there so I assumed it worked). Now that I had system restored I decided to go through the device manager method of unisntalling my display drivers but when I go into my 6600GT, drivers, uninstall...it comes up with this message: "failed to uninstall the divice. The device may be need to boot up the computer"....

does anyone know what I should do and what is happening?

thanx

u dont need to uninstall drivers in order to update them....just download the new drivers and install and restart...

because i think as ther error said before....you need display driver to display things on the screen...

Usually, when you uninstall the "Display Adapter" (as you look for it in the Control Panel) from the Control Panel, it should remove the nvidia driver for your graphics card leaving you with Windows crappy stock VGA drivers. I've done this a lot of times and other PCs too. It's the correct way of doing it. It even mention that at the Nvidia website to do it this way. I'm not sure why it got all screwy with your uninstall.

But try to install the new drivers again.

ok so I should just install the new drivers without uninstalling the old ones as I am unable to uninstall them? will this have any negative affects?

thanx for your help

Yeah, you can install over it too with no bad effects. It's suppose to work that way too but people tell me it's always best to completly remove the old stuff first before applying new drivers. But it should be ok.

Ok thanx man, also what will happen to my old drivers once i have installed the new ones?

thanx

Back
Top Bottom