possible to hide your ip address from file sharing?

Most of the peer to peer file sharing programs you can configure to download and upload via a public proxy server, most of them are anonymous so you should be able to hide your ip address
So configuring a proxy server would be my best bet

How many times do I have to explain the legalities of file sharing?!!? Are you guys really this dense?

spank_fusion said:
How many times do I have to explain the legalities of file sharing?!!? Are you guys really this dense?

No were not dense, we just get the point that most of the ppl who download stuff don't have a legal copy of it. And for sharing, well u share the file and I bet the ones who download it don't already own a legal copy so it's illegal to do this.

Im sorry But you are mistaken. If we had no filesharing we would not have the internet. Everything you do on the internet is done with files.

I may not be familiar with other countries, But I would like you point out, Its not right to say Its legal or not in a single nonconditional statement. You have to look at the variables. Do they own the copy rights? Do they live in ________? Do the work for company _______?

For now I am going to base My statement on American Congress.

It is not illegal to download a file at all. You only commit a crime If you upload those files to other people, Or transfer them to another person in some way or another. Period. End of story.

July 16th, 2003. Peer to Peer sharing is running rampant in all countries with mass connection to the internet. In a desperate attempt to end the copyright infringement Congress passes a law stating that would land a person in prison for five years and impose a fine of $250,000 for distributing Copyrighted materials to another person.

Why did they do this? Because a bill passed by President Clinton during his Time as president, and still standing today, States that It is illegal for any person to access anothers confidential files without that person being informed prior to the incident.

If they were to find the people downloading they would be breaking the very law they just wrote, If they were to look in our computers they would be breaking the very law Clinton wrote.

In answer to the question this thread posed, You do not even need to worry about having your government get your internet protocol address. I think the only country has not passed some sort of confidentiality law Is china, and I havent seen any Odd characters on this site other than members So I dont think we have any chinese here :p

But basically Similar cases have happened in a majority of all major countries. As a statistical majority It is Illegal to transfer music to other people, Not to get it for your own entertainment. That is why whenever you download off of Peer to Peer networks it is best to block whatever outgoing port range that program uses on your firewall so you dont break any laws.

Again, incorrect. Let me repeat: FILE SHARING IS ILLEGAL IF YOU DOWNLOAD A FILE THAT YOU DON'T OWN THE ORIGINAL OF OR IF YOU UPLOAD A FILE TO SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T OWN THE ORIGINAL.

YOU MUST OWN AN ORIGINAL TO OWN A COPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spank, Shut up

Breathe

Calm now?

Good

I got my information from the National Registry of Current Laws, Where are you getting your information from?

First of all, show me this information. Until you do, I won't believe you. I'm guessing that maybe you took something out of context, but I won't know if you don't show me.

Second, it's true that RIAA is hitting people who upload, but downloading can be just as illegal if you don't own an original of the material or if you don't have permission from the copyright owner.

Anyway, here's some reference:
http://www.gotfacts.com/filesharing.php
http://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/pctech/tech/hardware/mp3/share.shtml
http://www.worldlawdirect.com/article/1395/Free_downloading_of_music<U>--</U>The_new_Napsters.html

P.S. Please don't disrespect me with the manner in which you replied. Telling me to 'shut up' really hurts your credibility as a mature debater. Let's set a good example and be professionals about this.

spank_fusion said:
Please don't disrespect me with the manner in which you replied. Telling me to 'shut up' really hurts your credibility as a mature debater. Let's set a good example and be professionals about this.

Well u deserve it. Don't get me wrong but we do get the point from one message, and using caps lock doesn't make u look so mature either. And u talking about professional debating, well u are far from that.

Thanks, I appreciate the constructive criticism. Using caps lock toward nobody in particular isn't immature. It shows that I'm frustrated when I try to get my point across and nobody listens. I don't think you have the right to tell me that I deserve disrespect. I could say the same about you because of your grammar or spelling, but I don't. Again, let's be professionals.

Anyway, I don't really see this thread going anywhere. It's way off topic and full of useless banter - probably should be locked before it gets out of hand.

Back
Top Bottom