Noo, there will be no G70 ultra

mammikoura

Golden Master
nVidia has decided to cancel G70 Ultra. :(

"The key problem for ATI is that it cannot ship a few tens of thousands of those units until December, no chance at all, and Nvidia can reach and beat those volumes with its highly available GTX part."

So they know that they will pwn the markets even with the 7800GTX so they have no need to make a better version of it.

Just got a feeling that u guys would like to know, if u already didn't.

Supposedly the Geforce 7800 Ultra. It is just like the 7800GTX using the same 110nm design. Basically, we are talking about same card, but different clock, but there's not a really huge performance increase running this chip at 500/1400 MHz with a 4000+ CPU according to some benchmarks. In order to get the real performance, you need to have a faster CPU like an Athlon 64 FX F55 or FX57. At these speeds, you need to use ultra high settings and maximum resolutions such as 1600x1200 in order to show the difference.

After G70 Ultra (apparently scrapped for the moment) and R520 comes, R580 and Nvidia 90 nanometer part will be released soon but I doubt that there will be enough time to release those chips in 2005.

It's rather likely that you will see these chips in early 2006 only. Once again, another technology we will see popping up in 06. Socket M2, DDR2, Mobile Sempron, Nvidia's new core, etc...Those of you who want to get the 7800GTX, there may be a new video card coming.

Yes it's the same as 7800 ultra. And I know it's just better clock speeds but it would still be better than the 7800GTX, though as u said now it would be quite hard to notice any difference, but in the future when a single 7800GTX can't run the newest games well then there would be a difference that u can see.

And I thought that nVidia is not going to 90nm design yet. Both R520 and 580 are 90 nm, right? And there is always a new vid card coming. :D

Yes, they utilize the 90nm. Basically, this will never end. I think we should just get the 7800GTX and get it over with. A year down the road, switch it out for a new one.

Back
Top Bottom