What video card can I use?

lukey83

Baseband Member
I have an old pentium 3, 256MB RAM (PC133), running winXP pro. Its a HP Vectra VLi8, it has onboard graphics, but they suck, because I cant play call of duty on my PC. What kind of graphics card can I get that will work?

Your going to have tell us your motherboard detials as we don;t know it it's AGP of PCI-Express, but my guess is AGP.

i think this is it:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Productinformation/HP_Vectra_VLi8__17361

I'm afraid it only seems like it supports PCI :(

2 ( 2 ) x PCI - full-length

as there is no support for AGP, unless you are talking about the intergrated one on the motheboard which is a AGP 2x - integrated chip.

That is the problem with buying computers from companies :(

You can get some cheap PCI cards though that'll let you play rather new games, though I wouldn't expect high quality graphics with them.

Hope this helps

Yeah your right, Its PCI. Plain standard PCI. The onbaord video is AGP but its crap. I did have an Oktek Video card in at one stage, but then it died (thats all i know about it sorry), and now Im not too sure what card I could put in that would run COD.

Kage said:
That is the problem with buying computers from companies

I was actually given this to play with when my friend upgraded. I never would have paid money for it ;)

Ah, well thats alright then :p

There are quiet a few PCI graphics cards which should run games like i said:

I mean this one for example won't be great, but its cheap, and has Direct X-9 support:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=9338&GroupID=27

I'm sure there are other makes and cards that might push the barrier a bit more. Do not get confused with PCI And PCI-E though, as PCI-E ones won't fit your specification.

How much money are you willing to fork out for one? I could find you a pretty good Pci one but I think its around 250

Yeah, whereabouts is one of them? Surely wouldn't it better for him to upgrade his motherboard to PCI-E and buy a PCI-E card for $250?

Ye, but then think of the processor. That would then have to be changed, and also the RAM as well, since its probably all old spec... leading to more than a $250 price-tag...

Back
Top Bottom