Games to look forward to in 2006

alvino said:
Yeah, in Need for Speed: Underground and Underground 2 there isn't any form of authority, which sucks...

Which is where Need for Speed: Most Wanted comes in! It's the best of both worlds. :)

Well I don't know if it sucks. It would be a nice change to watch out for cops once in a while but then again u couldn't drive like 250mph on a street. :D Also the thing I hate is that there is no damage done to the car if u crash, it would be a lot harder if there would be, but more realistic.

Oh my god!!!!! AoE 3 playable DEMO is here:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/ageofempiresiii/downloads.html

or here:

http://www.planetageofmythology.com/#PQN499716

Ok got it installed and playing right now. Look and feel of the game is totally different but I know basic gameplay is still there. Funny thing is, right before the gameplay, there's a screen that says, "Best When playing on a Pentium 4 System". What the hell is that? Man, Microsoft and Intel teaming up.

The feel is almost like Rise of Nations and Age of Mythology combined. You guys ever play that? It defintely take some getting use to because I have no idea what to do, especially in the Hometown (wildcards?). There's a lot of new features to this game. If I can master the demo, the full version should be a lot of fun. The sound is excellent. It features full surround sound unlike the previous AoE games. The landscape are truely spectacular to see. Just walking around the map makes you want to look at everything. When you attack a building, your military troops will try to burn it down. It's neat because the detail is so great, you can see the building gradually fall apart as it burns to the ground.

When a battle starts and you move away from it, you can still hear the battle going on from a distance but if you move to far away, then it becomes a distant echo. So neat. There is also day to night scenario in which the time of day change unlike the original AoE when there are no day and night.

I got smoked pretty bad the first time. Those enemy cannons did a huge number on me. The sound is incredible. I can't stress how realistic this game is. This is the best RTS game ever. You want to know what's wierd? The main characters can't die. I swear I saw the General and Amelia die. Lifeline gone. Their hit points all of a sudden start to replenish and they are back on their feet for a limited time. I got shot again so they're back down.

Wow, thanks for all your replies, I'll update the list with as many games as possible, but if I get an overwhelming feeling that one game is not going to deliver as much as it can, then I'll take it down :)

Oh yeah, TRDCorolla thanks for the link dude! Played the demo in the early hours of this morning on this pile of junk and it actually managed some good performance! The game is SUPERB, and is by far the best ever RTS game I have played. This is one game I WILL own when it comes out! Thanks again TRTCorolla!

Also, the thing about the main characters dying is just like Age Of Mythology, where Arkantos, Ajax, and other mian characters would die, but because they are heroes all you would have to do is go near them with another hero and they come back to life! This kinda made Age Of Mythology a bit too easy, but it's cool :) I loved that game! Especially the Titans add on pack, haha getting a Titan for the first time was THE best way to crush your enemies! Trying to see them take down a 100ft monster with wooden arrows made me laugh :D

Keep the info coming on games by the way! Much appreciated!

EDIT: Updated the list, but I'm finding it hard to get precise details of a release date :( There's a lot of TBAs on big games like Half Life 2 - Aftermath, so if anyone has ANY details of any release dates not up there, please let me know :D Thanks!

Do you reckon if i ordered COD 2 from america it would get here in the UK before the release date of it. i dont mind paying the extra bit, im addicted to COD UO multiplayer (infact i think its given me RSI) is there any laws stopping you from doing this if you did?

If Call of Duty is available here in the US and you have the ability to access that info and purchase it, then it's perfectly legal and ok to do. Gamespot allow you to pre-order the game, but you'll have to see if they deliver to the UK. They go through a store called EBGames.

As for the AoE 3, it is a huge improvement to the older AoE 2. I've played Age of Mythology (I have it actually) and although the graphics was pretty good, it seemed a bit out of place (akward). But AoE3 totally erase that effect. Basically, this game is PURE realism. I love the music you play to when everything is going ok. When I lost my town, the music sort of stopped playing, but the sound effects continue on. I was pretty much dead. But when you still have your town and everyone's working, the music helps you move alone.

Everything meshes so well together. I like the trading post idea because it gets the game more involved. I made friends with a single Indian so far. I didn't what to do at first. I'm still struggling at understanding what the heck the HomeTown do. Decieved, did you get that part? I"ll have to read the manual when I get the game.

The enemy was too powerful and I can feel the AI has improved quite a bit. I was overwhelmed by their firepower. They got this ancient looking rocket launcher, cannons, and the settlers (villagers) all have guns too!!!!!!

Unlike the old AoE2, the villagers fought hand to hand. Now they can work together with rifles and get their enemy from long range. The devastation of each building is incredible to see. So real. You can see parts of it crumbling and on fire. Slowly, the more the enemy attack, the more it worsens. Eventually, the whole structure collapse as it you blew it up with a whole bunch of explosives. YOu know how the buildings in real life come down? It just implodes and collapse downward. Beautiful.

The scenery of the canyon was a site to see. You can tell right of the bat that AoE3 uses new lighting technology to create the shadow and lights. The shadows from the flying birds just added more realism to the overall environment.

I suppose one day I will get bored of this game, but this by far the best experience in RTS gaming. One thing I found out. When the settlers mine for silver and chop down wood, there are no mining camps or lumberyard anymore? I seem to be gathering resources without the need for those anymore which is wierd.

I know that most of the member here prefer FPS vs RTS (as most games now are FPS), but if you ever want to get an RTS game, this is the one to get.

Yeah, I kinda struggled with the Home Town bit, but after being hooked on that games for literally 3 hours straight, I've got the idea of it. Basically (I think), you set up a Home Town when you start a new game, and as time passes, the size of it increases, which increases the population, which increases the wealth, education etc. When you've expanded to the point of discovering new materials and technology, you ask for resources from your Home Town to help you in your bid to conquer the world. I love this idea of having like a 'Base' which supplies you with what you need. Makes the game feel more attached (in the sense that if you compare it to Age Of Mythology, I kinda got the feeling that even though I was playing through the story, each mission seemed to be a stand alone mission with no connection the previous missions). With this one, you feel as if you are actually progressing!

Oh and by the way TRDCorolla, I would choose any good RTS, Strategy, RPG over any FPS ever made. I mean, all these games make you think and plot tactics rather than just shooting people. Don't get me wrong though, I admire people who can kill very quickly on FPS's because it takes a lot of skill. But personally, it's more rewarding from a RTS game when you conquer Europe for example in Total War:Medieval.

This game is going to own all RTS games ever. This is one of THE releases in the near future.

The only thing that pops into my mind when it comes to FPS is FPS Doug, "Boom! Headshot!". He's too funny and crazy. Newer FPS are integrating more storyline and environmental control too which makes it really neat. Especially in Splinter Cell where you can talk over a headset to your teammate down the street. You have to whisper at times or your enemies will hear you. That is pretty cool. So co-op team stratagys are implemented.

RTS takes more strategy and planning as in AoE3's case. You literally have to build the time up keeping in mind that you need resources to do that and at the same time, watch out for enemies. AoE3 is more involved and can really get intimidating at times (for me at least right now because I'm still learning).

I do notice the Hometown has this multiplier at the top center where the number count goes up. So that's what you were talking about, the population perhaps? I hear that you can handle more population in this version of the game than previous AoE. I can't wait to get good at this. So the Hometown will increase your resources automatically but you just have to go in there and get it? I'm going to keep playing this demo. It's all different, man. Im' so use to the AoE2.

Haha, yeah that's exactly what I thought that number was (I'm probably wrong, but it's a guess). The only thing that I'm not sure of is how you get th new resources to you. I mean, do you get told that they are ready, or do you have to manually check every now and then?

What we'll be looking to next is a completely new gener, well not completely new, but a mix of genres to make games even more involving. I love the idea of whispering on Splinter Cell by the way. I've never played a Splinter Cell game but they look awesome, and now I will have a PC to match the specs needed, then I might actually look forward to getting the game and not end up worrying if my machine can handle it :)

I was looking on Gamespot's website earlier, and came across this:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/finalfantasyvii/index.html?q=final+fantasy+Vii

And, well being one of the biggest fans of Final Fantasy VII, this would be good and bad if they produced the whole game again on PS3. Good thing is obviously the improved graphics, and gameplay. But I don't want it to take away the originality and raw material that made one of THE classics to ever come out. I'm keeping a close eye on this to make sure it doesn't become a whole new game, but I'm looking forward to see what they do with it.

I learned something new about the Hometown. Under the Level one where you got those 3 main resources, they can be used an infinite number of times. So whenever you run low on gold coins or wood, food, you can just go there and it will appear around your towne center. Defeintely a new feature.

God I love how the buildings fly apart when you blow it up with cannons.

The best thing about using a head-set in splinter cell is that when playing multiplayer, u go and grab someone from behind, and then u can speak to him. I mean laugh at him for u being able to grab him and then just brake his neck. :D

Back
Top Bottom