Parallel / Cat5 Printer Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

soltech

Solid State Member
Just a question to anyone who may know more about this than I can find on the net.

I want to know on a printer that offers both parallel and Cat5 options, if it is correct practice to connect both the parallel cable and the Cat5 cable. I know it can "work", however I believe my customer is having some odd problems due to this setup. Any thoughts?

Note this is a network setup including 5 PC's, 4 via Cat5 /1 via parallel.

Well, there should not be any problems with 4 using the cat 5 cable and only one using the parallel. Are the printers shared? What are the "odd problems" they are having?

How is the printer shared,through a router or a computer or are there jacks on the printer to share with multi computers?

Hello again,

The machine is jamming onsite. However here in my shop we can not make it jam. Their complaint is that it jams so much its unusable. I have sent about 500 pages through the machine with no problems here.

Printer is shared through a hub, connected to a router. Static IP.

I would think it's not the way it's connected but maybe the way they are loading paper, or rollers or something. You know they may be exaggerating about how often it gets stuck. I used to work for a school district and teachers often had problems that never occurred while I was around.....

Yea I'm sure you are on target there. We checked the machines log and it says it has had a total of 22 jams out of the 24000 pages it has yielded. Which either means they are just overexaggerating or the "jams" aren't happening at the printer. In other words the data is never making it to the printer if you understand what I'm trying to say.

Anyways I was always under the impression that dual I/O ports should not be used in any situation.. i.e. usb / parallel running to same machine or parallel / cat5.. Wanted to know what others thought.

Thanks

i don't see why not.

it might also be getting jammed because they are putting too much paper in.

buy a new 1 .. meeh .. all pritnters have paraell and usb .. youcan buy a usb to cat5 thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom