Firefox Users Unite

malbuc87uk said:
I'm on FF now, but I might get rid. Here's why:

-
-> Instability (crashes if you have more than 6 tabs downloading at once - when it crashes it takes AGES to start up again, often up to 2 minutes on a dual core AMD, with HDD thrashing so hard you think it's going to break).

-> Can't handle Java applets properly

-> It's not really that customisable, all you can do is change the skin and put in extensions. And that about:config thing is completely undocumented, so it's useless.

-

First off there is no OS yet that fully supports the dual core processors.

Secondly if your hard disk is constantly thrashing away you've probaly got a load of crap running in the background, ie spyware.

And if it's taking 2 minutes o open you've got to have something running that's hogging the processor. I'm currently running on a Athlon XP 1700 256 ram 40gig hard disk, and so on it takes me about 10 secs to open it.

So in conclusion yuor computer must be jammed with crap if it's taking that long to open firefox.

And the config thing can be used by anyone, all it takes is a bit of brainpower and patience. :cool:

"Instability (crashes if you have more than 6 tabs downloading at once - when it crashes it takes AGES to start up again, often up to 2 minutes on a dual core AMD, with HDD thrashing so hard you think it's going to break)."

ummm malbuc87uk, it's ur pc that has the instability not firefox. I have had like 30 tabs open in firefox without any problems. And there was a guy in here who had like 120 tabs open, can't remember who it was. So really, no instability in firefox.

"-> Lack of compatibility (sites are built with IE in mind, but even other non MS browsers have better compatibility with Flash etc)"

Well there are some sites that need IE to work, but I'd say that over 95% of sites work fine with firefox.

"-> Virtually no features. Pure Mozilla is much better than this."

Yeah, I mean only like integrated google/yahoo search (and u can go to wikipedia and a few other sites [the 2 other that I have are not really of any use] with just 2 click.) Also a new button, press it and get like 20 newspaper articles of todays news.

Mozzilla ain't too bad either, but compared to for example IE firefox is so much better.

I perfere Mozilla over Frefox, but I generally Use IE because it's secure enough for me,

Secondly if your hard disk is constantly thrashing away you've probaly got a load of crap running in the background, ie spyware.
Surely one of the biggest touts that the FF community always say is that FF is resistant to spyware?

In resopnse to a point brought up earlier...

OPEN SOURCE CSTOMISATION:
Isn't it lovely to have the source? all many many hundred megs of it???

yes, now what are you going to do with it? It's actually my believe that 99 out of 100 people who say open source is great because you can actually see the code don't actuall know what to do with it once they've got it!!

In response to another point.
It was built from the ground up instead of Internet explorer which keeps adding on to previous versions leaving holes for malware to exploit. Most programmers of malware don't know how to exploit firefox, not to mention if there is a hole firefox has so many people working on it itll get fixes fast.

FF certaninly was not "built from the ground up"
It's built on Mozilla, which in turn was built on Netscape, and it has Mosaic code in it as well...

hardly a ground up approach?

Secondly, haveyuo ever actually been to the bugzilla site for FF, there are tons of bugs, fair enough they do get fixed, but there are exploits, and the Malware programmers certainly do know how to exploit the FF browser, don't kid yourself that you are untouchable just because you arn't using IE!!!

ff17oe.png

just love it!

firefox is much better than IE imo..... i like the tabbed browsing, adblock and also the weather feature is pretty good too.....

Back
Top Bottom