battlefield 2 - what is PING?

Laxgoalie1

In Runtime
Hi,

I was wondering what ping is. I keep on getting kicked on battlefield for a high ping average. So can someone explain to me why?

a ping is the time it takes for your signal to reach the server and get back to you.
like a sonar ping in the old submarines i think.
woz

fast connection (cable/dsl or better) and have only the game running, close all other progs

works for me

ping is: A protocol that sends a message to another computer and waits for acknowledgment, often used to check if another computer on a network is reachable. (Packet INternet Groper) An Internet utility used to determine whether a particular IP address is reachable online by sending out a packet and waiting for a response. Ping is used to test and debug a network as well as see if a user or server is online.

Are You There?

"Can you ping the server?" means typing ping xx.xx.xx.xx at the command line. The xx's are the four numbers in the dotted decimal IP address used to identify IP clients and servers. If the request times out, the address cannot be reached. A ping utility also typically supports DNS name resolution, and the domain name may be used. For example, ping www.computerlanguage.com would yield the same results as typing in the correct numeric address.

Ping Me!
The term was coined when submarines first used sonar to detect enemy ships. A pinging sound was heard in the headseat when a signal reflected back from an object in the water.

Ping also means "call me" or "get in touch." "Ping me at home" is geekspeak for "call me at home."

Back
Top Bottom