Gallery: Graphics Cards

Re: Gallary: Graphics Cards

Because PCI-E is the way to expand. You gotta think about the future and expansion too.

Yes, PCI-Express is a new and faster form of PCI, which is clearly set to replace AGP as the standard for graphics card slots. As Alvino pointed out earilier, PCI-Express offers roughly twice the data transfer rate of 8x AGP. In the future, expect external PCI-E hardware setups. Right now, it's just internal like the video cards we see today. That should change a lot in the future.

Yeah, I heard about that. It's this new type of cable that could allow video cards to run outside the box. It is being developed by the pci special interest group, whose goal is to use pci-ex for external storage proposes. But with 5gb/s per wire bandwidth – more than twice what's available over current pci-ex implementations – the spec would be more twice able to handle graphics card data and storage duties… read more at pcisig.com

I look forward to seeing what comes out of that. Perhaps it will be able to accept more than 2 GPUs. Or maybe it will give people without an SLI board the chance to run SLI.

I think the motherboards of the future will no longer carry PCI slots anymore. Everything will eventually be converted to PCI-express because of its high bandwidth capability. RIght now, PCI Express systems ships with a single 16x PCI Express card slot for a graphics card and several 1x slots (other than SLi boards). A single 1x card slot has the possible bandwidth of 500MB/s, higher than the current shared PCI bus. The 16x slot has the possible bandwidth of 8GB/s in both directions or 4GB/s in one direction. That is fast.

Right now, manufacturers, consumers are making a slow transition to the new PCI-e standard. I just don't see a lot of PCI-e 1x cards being used.

I haven't seen any PCI 1x cards. What uses those slots? My mobo has 2 (one 1x, then a 16x, then 1x, then another 16x) then it has 3 other standart PCI slots

yes, TRDCorolla is correct, PCI-E will be better than agp in the near future. And as for the PCI-E 1x and 3x slots will be used for cards like sound cards, modems, NIC cards and usb/firewire expanding cards. so pretty much anything that used to be in a PCI slot will soon be using a PCI-E 1x or 3x slot insted. I saw a board with a heatsink and heat piping from the northbridge to the back panel of the mobo that couldnt fit the onboard sound on so the provided the mobo with a pci-e 1x sound card.

Back
Top Bottom