Want to format HD and reinstall XP - Help ASAP plz

Space_Coyote

In Runtime
I reinstalled Windows last night but all my stuff was still there and it still didn't solve my WOW issues. I want to do a clean install now and start from scratch.

I can't boot from the CD-ROM, even after changing the BIOS settings. I've searched through a lot of posts but I'm still a little confused. A lot of them point to this article:

http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=3187

but it's been deleted or something.

Some posts say to use 'Format C:' and others say 'Format C: \S' to copy the boot files to the C drive afterwards so which is it?

I have made a boot floppy by formatting and choosing the make boot disc option. I booted from it last night but was unable to change to the HD or CD-ROM drive from the A:\ prompt. Is this normal and will the format command still work? If it didn't let me change to other drives before, will it let me after formatting?

After the HD is formatted what exactly are the steps to install from the XP CD?

I am leaving work in less than 2 hours (5:30pm CST) and after I format I won't be able to ask for help (if it's unsuccessful) until Tuesday so I want to make sure I have it down.

Please could someone put together a list real quick so I can print it out and take it home for reference?

Chris.

EDIT: Should I get the 6 floppy's XP from MS as a back-up?

Well, you would ideally boot from the CD-ROM drive on startup, but I guess your BIOS isn't letting you. (Are you sure you're changing the right option?) Did your computer come with restore discs? Those would be the best option. If not, there should be a way to get the Windows install to load on boot.

Yes, it says 'searching for boot record from CD-ROM' but always just goes to the HD.

The only part I really need help with (I think) is getting XP to install after formatting. I just hope I can change to the CD-ROM drive and start the install after I format or I'm screwed.

I will check back here for more replies before I start tonight.

If it says that it is searching for a boot recod and doesn't find it, have you booted off that CD before? If the CD doesn't boot, but it says that it is looking on the CD, I would make sure that the CD is bootable. I tend to drop back to a windows 98SE boot disk when I can't get the XP disks to work. However, it really depends on the computer.

Some companies just supply you with a image of your hard drive as they set it up, others actually send you a copy of the OS only. The windows XP setups that I have seen format for you. You should simply need to put the CD in and it will take it from there. It should prepare for setup, and then ask where you want to set it up, what you want to do with another version, or if you are trying to repair a version. Anyway, you shouldn't need to use the command line and a format c: for it to work, just get it to boot off the CD and it should work from there.

Well I managed to format and reinstall XP with a combination of 2 disks from bootdisk.com. One wouldn't perform the format and the other had goofy CD-ROM drivers that wouldn't copy to XP.

Anyway, now my USB mouse doesn't work. Is there a USB mode or something I have to turn on?

In the bios, you will have to make sure the USB option is enabled....but if you just formatted and reinstalled windows then the usb isn't working because you have to reinstall the drivers for it. You can only get the USB drivers from Microsoft or the mobo manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom