totaly lame Partition question..

oneafterdark

Baseband Member
alright guys, i want to create a Partition and just have my xp on it and have another Partition for like the files i save and other stuff like that. So if anything happens to my programs that my windows is ok. I have a 127 gig hard drive. Im going to format after i transfer all my music.. how would i set up this Partition (windows Xp). What size should the partion for windows be?

Windows XP requires minimum 1.5GB of space. I suggest you give it 3GB on the particular partition. You get to choose partitions while you install Windows XP

yeah, but dont do this if you have all your files on the computer already, Thatd be foolish, Make a copy of all your files because when you partition it theres no telling what files will be on what partition

I suggest that you store all your programs and your Windows installation on the same partition, cause if your Windows installation gets corrupted, you can't just install it and have all the programs work properly. It's a lot easier to just install all the programs again.

I give my Windows/programs partition 10GB (10240MB), to give plenty of space for all the files, as well as space to breathe.

There's a partition manager on the XP Setup disk that you can use during installation of XP.

I don't recommend any partition less than 10 gigs. Nor do I recommend them being much more than 40 gigs in size either. Just depends on the size of the HDD. Remeber that windows will not allow more than 4 partitions to the drive. If you wish to have more than that you will need to set it up through a third party partitioning program.
The best way to do it is to determine the size that you want for your primary partition( C drive )..
I would recommend that it be atleast 10 gigs and closer to 20, then set this amount during the xp installation. Do not worry about the other partitions untill after you get the OS installed and all your updates and drivers installed. Make sure it is a stable system and then go to :
start > control panel > admin istration tools > computer management and then select disc management in the left side. then highlight the unallocated space in the right window and choose to partition and follow prompts...simple and best way to do it. select the size that you want for each partition and name it(lable) ....games....pictures...music...whatever.. That is the way it will show up.

Back
Top Bottom