Monitor or another Graphics Card?

I would go with the monitor if you had a smaller one to begin with, but you already have a 19" CRT, and a LCD would only be better if it had a good response time, but yes, at the native resolution, the quality does tend to be better.

Yet, people are right in saying that another 7800 now would be pretty pointless seeing as no games going to really test that yet, and so would be an upgrade path later, and the fps you'll get extra won't be seen.

I would probably go for the monitor, purely for the fact that if you get a good one, your games will of course look sharper and clearer.

Yeah summer 2006 seems about the right time scale, just a shame it's not coming out sooner :(

With my old CRT, I'm still getting some crazy resolutions on games (anthing up to 2048 x 1536!!) which is plentiful for me! Possibly the only reason I would upgrade is purely down to it's physical size and how much coller a TFT can be. At the moment, I am swaying towards keeping my CRT, but if anyone can put forward an honest arguement as to why I should get a TFT, I'm open for ideas :D

I can't wait till the 7800GTXs fall in price :) I have yet to try out my system, but I am hoping for the best when it comes to BF2 & Doom 3 :)

Just one last question, will my system spec beat 20,000 on 3DMark01? And how well do you think it will do on 3DMark05?

Thanks for all your help! Couldn't have built my PC without you guys!

Yeah, I agree. The 7800gtx is quite a card and it's at a level of extreme madness... lol...

the deceived said:
At the moment, I am swaying towards keeping my CRT, but if anyone can put forward an honest arguement as to why I should get a TFT, I'm open for ideas :D

My honest arguement is that you ask which one you should get. everybody said to get the monitor.

Yeah, I will probably end up upgrading my monitor, but can I ask you guys another question? I've heard people having dual monitors (and some times, even three lined up), and I thought 'Yeah, that's fair enough. One monitor for PC work and gaming, and the other one for plugging into your TV tuner or something along those lines.'

But as I expected, my XFX 7800 GTX has two DVI inputs and I'm really curious at how I would use these?

Thanks!

Displaying your desktop on multiple monitors is natively supported by Windows XP. With the card that you have, enabling dual displays is quite easy. Simply navigate to the “Settings” tab of the “Display Properties” screen in Windows, and where most people are used to seeing controls for one monitor, you will now see two. The two monitors can then be enabled (attached) / disabled, resized, and reoriented to match the configuration that they physically occupy on your desk. By selecting to “Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor”, the cursor will now be able to leave the primary monitor and can freely navigate the second display as if it was all one surface. You can move programs, icons, taskbars, and wallpapers onto the secondary monitor and start taking advantage of the increased desktop real estate. With this setup, a computer becomes much more convenient to use.

Yeah, though I wouldn't expect an LCD monitor to natively support the res your CRT currently can (that high), and so, i doubt the quality of the screen at that resoloution will be as good.

Or is it just lower resolutions LCD monitors don't like?

TRDCorolla said:
Displaying your desktop on multiple monitors is natively supported by Windows XP. With the card that you have, enabling dual displays is quite easy. Simply navigate to the “Settings” tab of the “Display Properties” screen in Windows, and where most people are used to seeing controls for one monitor, you will now see two. The two monitors can then be enabled (attached) / disabled, resized, and reoriented to match the configuration that they physically occupy on your desk. By selecting to “Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor”, the cursor will now be able to leave the primary monitor and can freely navigate the second display as if it was all one surface. You can move programs, icons, taskbars, and wallpapers onto the secondary monitor and start taking advantage of the increased desktop real estate. With this setup, a computer becomes much more convenient to use.

Oh right! Well at least now it makes sense, but surely you only really need to do that if your CAD, or some sort of multimedia editing? You wouldn't use it for gaming, right?

And wouldn't the dual core processors take to this setup like a duck does to water? I'm talking in the sense that you almost have two computers running at one time, each with their own screen?

It's not really two computers running at the same time. You don't need dual core CPU to run this type of config either. I've seen people play Microsoft's Flight Simulator using multiple screens and you are are really broadening the view. Looks so good.

Back
Top Bottom