Graphics card problem help

meatpie

Solid State Member
hello

i have an emachines pc 3230 that has an integrated graphics unit intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV graphics controller which is pretty crappy. i got a radeon 9600 pro to upgraded my comp and installed as follows..

uninstalled intel drivers, turn off comp, connect 9600 in the AGP slot, turn comp on enter BIOS setings n disabled the intel onboard card. in the BIOS there is no option were u can select the AGP slot on or off just an option allowing u to select the MB of the card. it was on auto so i changed it to 256 which the card had. save n exit. turn on comp and big black screen.... but when i thurn pc on i can still enter the BIOS settings?? what is wrong there is power to the card as the fan spins round and the pc seems to load up normally into xp but there is just a black screen. i have checked all connections but it has made no dfference..

comp stuff

Field Value
Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2800 MHz (28 x 100)
Motherboard Name MSI 845GEM / 845GLMS / 845GVM / 845GVM-V / MS-6526G(L) (3 PCI, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale-G i845GE
System Memory 759 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (07/26/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (64 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics
Monitor Medion MD7415TE [15" LCD] (A4P410U50499)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0]

Storage
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Controller
Disk Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
Disk Drive HDS722580VLAT20 (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4120B (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:12x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-RAM:5x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 78528 MB (64950 MB free)

Input
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC (82.10.235.183)
Modem Communications cable between two computers
Modem GXmdm4_Bluetooth
Modem Smart Link 56K Voice Modem

Peripherals
Printer Auto HP DeskJet 640C Series on DELL
Printer Auto HP DeskJet 895C Series Printer on DELL
Printer hp psc 1310 series
USB1 Controller Intel 82801DB ICH4 - USB Controller [B-0]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801DB ICH4 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-0]
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

can any 1 help me???? plz

meatpie said:
it was on auto so i changed it to 256 which the card had.

Tried to swich it back to auto? If u didn't try this.
Lot's of info on the comp but I can't seem to fing ur PSU size from ur post. So how big is the PSU?

naa i tried switching back to auto but still no affect. psu? sry dont no wot tht means.
i thought it could b a probl with the mother board compatability but i dunno

meatpie said:
my power supply?? its 230 watt if thts wot u ment

yes that's what I ment. I am quite sure that it's not enough for the new card. U need to buy a new one. I'd suggest getting atleast a 400W one.
I'll check ur cards requirement and post back soon.

Edit: Couldn't find the power requirement for the 9600 pro, but I'd say that it need a 300W power supply to operate normally.

Hmm, I think its still something to do with bios not accepting the card since it blanks out as your about to get into windows and so isn't even switching to default drivers to allow you to install properly.

I have a faint idea though that it might be EMachines, and they've modified the bios , since its supposed to have an AGP option.

I'm wondering if it'll be possible to flash the bios to the latest version, maybe bringing that function back.

Any ideas?

ok 300w. wont damage the rest of the pc with the change in power will it? also is the motherboard able to coap with the card? thnx

Nope, it wont damage the rest of the PC, but check my post above. It might proove to shed some light over the problem, and might not be the PSU at all, though I'd still update it since thats a rather powerful card you've got hold of there.

If your motherboards got an AGP slot (which our plugging it into) then it supports it, no worries.

i might try flash the bios,how would i do tht download the last BIOS version for my motherboard from the manufacture site? i have herd of people flashing there BIOS and it going totally tits up for there pc

but is there anything else i can do?

Yeah, thats what you'd do, and as long as you get the right one, you should have no issues, but you have to make sure it is the right one exactly.

It is true that people can mess up there PC's doing it, and I don't even know if the BIOS is the case, though I'm sure there should be a bios selector for an AGP slot.

I'd wait for some more results on here before I ask you to do that, just incase other people know any other ideas, or know of other ways of doing it.

If they have modified the bios in some way to stop you buying your own cards...thats just wrong.

Back
Top Bottom