Need info on .iso files.

UNCLEMIKE1

Baseband Member
I downloaded a program that needs to be burned to cd in .iso format. The problem is i've never had to burn in .iso before. The program fits on 3 cds and each cd is on my hard drive compressed into .rar files. Do i need to extract first then burn in .iso and if so what program do i use to burn? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

First extract the rar files. The cd1 rar files will then become .iso, do this for all of the cd:s. Then download alcohol 120% (google for web page) and burn the .iso as an image disk with it. I have never burned one before but I have heard that alcohol can make an image disk.

I would also recommend XP Burner Pro, it works very well the time that i tried it, very simple and nice GUI too

So, i definately need to extract first. What would happen if I burned the entire compressed file as an .iso thru nero?

UNCLEMIKE1 said:
So, i definately need to extract first. What would happen if I burned the entire compressed file as an .iso thru nero?

U just need to burn the .iso file to a cd and it should work. Make sure u make it an image disk, otherwise I don't think it will work. Atleast some versions of Nero can make image discs.

Yeah daemon's right. In Nero, you can go to Burn an Image and the ISO should work then.

Making it a normal data disc will just store it as data, and won't burn the image as an uncompressed file with startup commands etc, and so all you'll get is the file on there instead of your hard drive, hehe.

I did a post on this awhile ago too and at first, I didn't what you guys were talking about when you say that Nero can burn .iso files. I thought there was a specific option that says, "Burn .iso here".

Turns out that you just burn it as if you were burning a normal data CD and it works. I also have winiso that extracts it too without burning to CD but I heard that it may not function correctly if you do it that way. Burning it to Nero makes it into an autorun CD.

Hmm... on newer versions of Nero though, it has a specific option to burn an Image file, and so ISO's, but maybe on older versions, burning a data cd does it. Not sure.

I'm using Nero Express 6 and I looked all over it. There is no option for .iso burn.

It still works though when you burn that image. I just add the .iso file (whatever it may be) and start to burn it. When it is finished, it's like an OS CD. You can even open it manually and you'll see all the files that make up the OS on the CD. Pretty neat.

Back
Top Bottom