Having trouple sharing files on my network.

Dishdog

Fully Optimized
Ok i just installed a wired home network between 2 computers. it works perfect. this is a software problem not hardware. i set it up where my Family computer has full accesses to my computer. from the family computer i'm able to go into any folder on my computer and do anything i want. now i went to set up the same thing on my computer so i could get anything off the family computer and it doesn't detect and folders set to "share" on the family computer. i using windows SP2 on both computers.

so which computer is the problem on and how do i fix it? this is a little out of my area of computers so please don't get to technical. if you need anymore info just ask an i'll give.

Have you looked in the security settings on both computers under the HD's that are being shared and make sure they have the same permissions for each computer. Also, check the computer that cannot see the other drives and go to the network connection properties and make sure you have the file sharing protocol installed. If you need more detailed instructions on anything just let me know.

go to your desktop and find the "my network places" icon. Right click and go to properties. Find your network connection and right click that then go to properties again. You will see the protocols installed. You can click on any of the protocols and if they have something you can view you can click properties and view that protocols properties. If you need to add a protocol click add and you can choose which one. If you have any more questions let me know.

Try doing a blank search for people or computers under start-->search. Tell us if the computer comes up... or if it works for you then there you go.

OK the file sharing is installed already, and i did a search for the family computer on mine and it came up but it didn't have any folders in it to share.

You've got File and Print sharing enabled on all the PCs? Are they all under the same Workgroup name? (Right click on My Computer and go into Properties. Then select Computer Name tab to see what workgroup you are in).

If your wiring is connected properly as you say, try disabling your firewalls so the PC can accept transmission coming from it. If you have firewalls on your PC, you need to configure it so it so it will accept the IP address of the other PCs. Otherwise, it will block those computers out of the network and you won't see them on your computer. Do you have security setup on the router? Depending on what kind of filters you have, you need to add those accordingly to the router so it can allow them onto the network.

I don't have any sercurity setup on the router. i will try disabling my firewalls later tonight.

I had the same problem with my network too in which my desktop isn't recognizing the laptop. I know I setup everything right but no communications was going through. I simply turned off the firewall and things started to happen. It was then, that I realize I needed to add the IP address of the laptop to my firewall to accept it. Now everything is working great.

I've also added tighter security by setting up MAC and IP filters too. I didn't use encryption because I hear it can slow down the network just a bit because all the data would go through the tedious encryption process back and forth between the router. I just think that if you allow only certain computers to be on the network, any other computer out there wouldn't have access to the router anyways.

Nope still doesn't work. i tried disabling my fire wall and adding the IP adresses of each computer and still it won't let me access my family computer from mine.

I think the problem is that my computers windows isn't activated.

Back
Top Bottom