minimal linux?

chessdeviant

Beta member
I am looking to install a minimal linux distro on a pentium 1, 16 meg ram and with a floppy no cdrom. I just want something to script on, maybe add a few packages too. Just wanting anybodys thoughts.

A decent install might be DamnSmall Linux for you... or something similar. it's tough to find a floppy based installer anymore.

possible, but complicated if you need to spilt package files...

Here's a link on installing from another os. You can hook the hard drive in to your current computer and try the method mentioned here http://marc.herbert.free.fr/linux/win2linstall.html

or ther are still a few other ways, such as downloading a boot floppy that will allow a net install of the os you wish to use.

lastly, slackware does allow for a floppy install. JUst follow the directions for the question
"Is it possible to install this operating system without a floppy drive?"
on the slacxkware installation FAQ page given here

http://www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq.php?faq=installation

Good luck, if you need any more help, please feel free to ask

I think I'll try the debian(as they have a floppy start download.). But I did some more looking around and was wondering, what if any experience any one had with these mini distos?

Tty Linux
Tiny Linux
Basic Linux
Mulinux
Grey Cat Linux
Mininux
Alfalinux
Mu2linux

It seems most are not active (It looks like ttylinux is and that tiny linux has a new project administrator)

I think debian is a very good option. Very simple to set up (imho) and maintain and can be very lightweight and responsive.

I haven't heard of those others, probably becasue I've never needed a floppy install before so I cannot offer you anything else there.

Good luck with the install. Let us know how it went.

no Gui maybe. No go with the Debian you need 2 floppy drives in order to download anything. I have found some other interesting things like blueflops and PicoBSD. I haven't gotten around to messing with the Pico yet, but the blueflops for being just 2 floppies has alot there.

Back
Top Bottom