How to backup Windows Xp?

Shutle

Baseband Member
HI, I don't know how to backup windows so that if one day my computer doest start properly i can pop in the disc or flopy and have my desktop waiting for me allong with all me files. i've tried backing my computer onto a flopy but i'm always promted to change flopys when they get full. It would take to many flopys, its ridiculous i don't know what I'm doing/ How can I produce a good backup.

Don't know if there is an easier way but just be sure that ur windows creates restore points (it is an automated feature and is on, unless u have disabled it) they can be very usefull.

And if u have 2 (or more) partitions put all of the really important files in the partition where there is no OS. This way if u need to reformat u can just delete the partion with the OS and the other partition will be left as it was, and all of ur important files will be there.

Edit: ^^or just put the to cd:s. U can't possible put them all on floppys, then u could like sell ur house and build a new one from those floppys. :D I have all of my extremely important stuff saved to one 700mb cd, just all of my holiday pictures etc, they are something u can't get back if u lose them.

oh. I have restore points but I dont want to simply depend on that methode of restoration. And I don't use partitions either but now that I understand the concept it is a good idea. I gues I can try backing up windows on a cd.

If you want to back up information on your harddrive then do a system back up. This can be found in:
Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup

Hope this helps

Or you can use Norton Ghost 8.0 to make a image of your system drive to another drive.

To another drive?
I want a way to be able to boot my computer when it cannot be booted because of a computer problem. The only way I know how to do this is with my Windows XP cd and I have to erase my hard drive when I do that causing me to lose all my data.

Back
Top Bottom