xp fails to work

bigbondfan

In Runtime
I have a blue screen error when i log onto xp, and i have no choice but to reset my pc. It tells me i should start in safe mode, bu I can't get into safe mode, it crashes when I click OK on the message telling me it's in safe mode. It happened ever since i upgraded my virus scanner. My computer specs are:
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.7 GHz
768MB RAM
128MB PCI Graphics Card
Windows XP Home SP2

The error is shown here (http://www.freewebs.com/sotraite/error.gif)
error.gif

Are you sure that it happened with the upgrades. Or did you install Service Pack 2 on ur comp, cause Sp2 dosent like alotta people, and to boot into safe mode, you press F8 on boot up, just keep pressing it and you will get a menu that asks you wut way that you wanna boot into it. Or it might be delete im not sure wut button it is. its one of those two.

XP SP2 has been working fine on my computer for months. i get the menu after pressing F8, i press enter when safe mode is selected, it successfully gets into windows, but when the message telling me it is in safe mode, it just restarts itself. I'm not sure whether the update caused this, but it definatly caused xp in normal mode to.

Hmm, by any chance have you got a hard drive with an OS on it that you can plug in as the primary drive and the one that doesn't work as Secondary?

If this works, drag all important files off, and then put the one that doesn't work as Primary again.

This is just a precaution, and then place the XP cd in again, and hopefully you can try and repair the installation (which i've heard is an option to do while in setup), which will wipe over the current one, hopefully not losing you any files, and if that works then your sorted.
You'd have to install Windows SP2 on again though i'm afraid.

I hope this helps :)

I guess this means i will loose all my xp tweaks to make it run faster as well, and all my software. am i right?

Er...depends if its software or not... but i'd do a full backup anyway just incase, maybe backing up those installation files too?

I'm sorry about this. I know how horrible it is for a computer to suddenly not work.

Hopefully someone will come up with a better idea, or a more sure way of making sure everything comes out alright at the other end.

Well, i fixed it by simply holding shift at startup so i could skip the automatic logon, pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del as soon as i logged on and ended the program! I then just uninstalled it!

Back
Top Bottom