CPU usage 100%

jonworth

Baseband Member
hey ppl. Since yesterday my computer has slowed down drastically. I could play Half-life 2 without any slow down at all. Now i cant even run steam. The problem is tho that my cpu usage in windows explorer is 100% even after turning off any unnecessary processes. I heard something called spoolsv.exe or similar was causing the problem, so i ended that and still no improvement. The processes i am running at the mo are:

activeds.exe
alg.exe
audiosrv.exe
csrss.exe
ctfmon.exe
DSentry.exe
explorer.exe
fspex.exe
gcasDtServ.exe
iexplore.exe
lsass.exe
rundll32.exe x2 (think i should have 1...??)
NDETECT.EXE
sdmcp.exe
SERVIC~1.EXE (this file i know is causing some problems however doesnt improve cpu usage)

services.exe
smss.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe (x6)
system
system idle process
taskmgr
tfswctrl.exe
wdfmgr.exe
winlogon.exe
LUCOMS~1.EXE
AUPDATE.EXE
the last 2 came up automatically and have been causing my comp to minimize when playin games in fullscreen but no improvement in cpu usage. Please help i think it is posy the spoolsv.exe file however i am unsure what to do, also heard something about active print jobs tho i didnt ask for any and i cant find them unless im doing it wrong.

cheers jon

yeah i bought a new card a few weeks ago but i had a problem on half-life 2 the other day and i figured it was the updated drivers, uninstalled them made no improvement so reinstalled. It was the SYSTEM~.EXE, LUCOMS~.EXE and AUPDATE.EXE which were causing the problems to that, however everytime i try and end them they come up auto and not in msconfig so cannot stop them. Are these new drivers causing the problem cos i didnt encounter any probs with em i only thought i did.

BTW the card i have is a MX 4000 pci i know its a s*** card but i got a dell dimension 2400 so couldnt get an agp card. I think its more likely the spoolsv.exe but not positive. cheers jon

Hey ppl i fixed it i just used msconfig to stop spools starting up and everything seems to work fine. I dont understand though because i thought it had something to do with the printer but thats still workin :)

Back
Top Bottom