Right Click doesn't work in XP

Yeah there's no indication of any Group Policies, clicked on ForeignSecurityPolicies, and nothing appeared in there.

Anyone else have any idea on why Right click doesn't work on the desktop.

Is this a limited user account? Or are there no icons on the desktop? I've heard of this and seen this before... I think it has to do with limitations from the admin, but if you're the admin, I dunno. At my summer school, there were limited accounts on comps with no icons on the desktop and you couldn't right click either...

Nah mate, I've double checked the account, and even logged on as Administrator, there are plenty of Icons, and no limitations. Were pretty leaneant with our Logins.

I think everyone has given up on this :(

jac006 said:
Have you contacted microsoft?

What and pay $200AUS + for a professional fee so they can inspect it and walk through everything I have already tried?

Nah I'll pass hey :D

They could prolly solve your problem though... or just go to a local college and talk to a prof. who teaches windows. I've only studied so much about microsoft. I know that on pro you can disable the right click, but this is a little wierd... maybe it has someting to do with active desktop...?
User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer]
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer]
Value Name: NoViewContextMenu
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)
I found that... is that what you posted earlier... that's how to disable it... but to enable.... hmmm....

Yeah I know what you mean, me too, i'm not the best, but all I've really studied is Windows too.

Im giving up on this one. I'll probably re-format the bugger. Unless it's a driver problem. Previous hardware was Microsoft Intellimouse Wireless - (wasn't working then) and then switched to a PS2 Cord Mouse. Still no avail.

If you have a problem when you right-click on a blank area on the Desktop, then you need to inspect the handlers in this registry key. I don't think ShellExView enumerates the items from here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Directory \ Background \ shellex \ ContextMenuHandlers

The only handler present by default (in a clean XP installation) is the New handler. If you find any additional sub-keys there, it may have be added by third-party applications. Usually, the software that comes with your graphic card adds entries to the above location. Here is one instance, an article from the Intel Graphics Controller website.

It may not be caused by a context-menu handler always, but a PropertySheet handler or an Icon Handler can also be causing the right-click issues. Few have reported that the Property Sheet handler "Property Sheet - IIS W3ext Module" (XP Professional) was responsible for the folder properties issue (See Case:8 in the Symptoms section above), and that reinstalling IIS from Add/Remove Windows Components fixed the problem.

In one peculiar case, it was the shimgvw.dll module Shell Image Verbs - {e84fda7c-1d6a-45f6-b725-cb260c236066} itself causing the problem. In case of system files, try running SFC /Scannow to fix the problem.

Thats interesting actually, because the machine is a XPC Shuttle, and has Intel Extreme Graphics Driver installed, in the Tray Icon.

Does this help at all?
Figure 1.1 (s'shot from Regedit)

regedit.jpg

This is what i found whilst reading your last post.

Back
Top Bottom