Right Click doesn't work in XP

cynosure

Solid State Member
Hi guys how are you all going?

Just joined this FORUM, I have this really strange problem.
Basically, I've got a workstation connected onto a Domain, and Running Windows XP, SP2, all the normal stuff - full clean of Spyware, but for some odd reason, Right Click doesn't work anywhere except the Start Button. You can right click anywhere on the start button - and thats fine, but Right Click in Explorer, on the Desktop, anywhere like that - and it physically will not let you.

You can right click in Internet Explorer (i.e View Source or something like that) you can right click in WINWORD, but again go into like Network Connections or My Computer, anything like that, and doesn't work.

I've tried to work around this - and researched a bit - our Computers do not have hardly any restrictions on them, they have full control of the PC.

Tried adding in a Registry Key which I thought might 'enable' it, putting in the following:

Registry Settings

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer]
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer]
Value Name: NoViewContextMenu
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

That didn't work either,
Would really appreciate the help if anyone out there knows of anything.

try switching right click to the oppisite side of the mouse(make right click and the left side) and see if i will let you then.

Hey Dishdog, I tried that, but the right click on the physical mouse works - but the left click didn't work.

Any other ideas?

hahaha funny.

No i've tried swapping hardware, honestly think it's a software thing.

I have no clue. it is a software thing becasue my school has all the computers on the network set up so you can't right click. it's a safty thing so you can't change any of the settings. I would search around your network settings really well for some sort of safty part or administrative controls.

Yeah, arrizx - Care to share on the BIOS?

There's no restrictions on the machine - I know what your talking about - our SyS Admins disabled Right click in our school too. They had NOVELL. Narchy idiots.

Nah they all have Workstation Administrative access, but we havent put any policies in place to disable Right Click. If there was - any idea where I'd look though to double check?

cynosure said:
Nah they all have Workstation Administrative access, but we havent put any policies in place to disable Right Click. If there was - any idea where I'd look though to double check?

Active Directory Users and Computers.

That way you can see all your system policies for all your user groups, and modify them accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom