Laptop Suggestions?

catalyst1

BSOD
Soooo, I have a laptop. A Sony Vaio PCG-FRV25. It's a nice laptop, but I have a couple things I don't like about it:

1) It's really big and heavy - not too great for carrying around.

2) It doesn't have built-in wireless.

3) I've been having all sorts of overheating problems with it for a long time. I think this is because of a number of things - mainly A) it has a Pentium 4 instead of a mobile type processor and B) it has an ATI graphics card.

4) The battery only lasts like an hour with minimal processor load (again, probably because it is a Pentium 4 with the graphics card).

These are my main issues with it. So, to get to the point of this thread, I need a laptop that is small and light with fairly fast processing power DESIGNED FOR A LAPTOP, AT LEAST 512MB of RAM, AT LEAST a 60GB hard drive and built-in wireless - all for less than around $800. I would prefer the Sony brand, but I am flexible with that considering the Sony name is worth about $100 by itself. :p

Also, I don't need gaming graphics. I rarely play PC games anymore, so that won't be a problem. I still want to be able to work in a 1024x768 resolution environment with very good detail, but when it comes to intensive graphical processing - I don't need it.

My main concern is getting one that doesn't overheat, though. I could deal with most of the above issues if it weren't for this guy running it's exhaust fan at full power and shutting down occassionally. So, let me know what you guys think!

P.S. Sorry for such a long post. :eek:

samsung M40 is a excellent laptop, its 17" widescreen though, so you might want to go with the smaller version of the M40. have a look on the samsung website, their very good laptops...

AH, the acer ferrari. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115194
It pwns! THis comp... yeha, it pwns! MY HAND'S ARE SHAKING, MY HANDS ARE SHAKING, MY HEARTS BEATING, MY HEART'S BEATING, BUT I'M STILL GETTING HEADSHOTS!!! IT'S JUST LIKE BOOM!! HEADSHOT! BOOOOM HEADSHOTTT!! lol... a quote from "fps doug" I'm just in that mood... sorry, but humor is good in this world, especially in such gloomy days....

I'm just gonna go the easy way and build my laptop :D

Why?

1.) You don't get all that pre-loaded crap that you always get from Dell, Sony, HP, Compaq etc etc etc...

2.) Your Windows XP CD will actually be a CD instead of that stupid Recover rubbish that they always provide, which usually never solves the problem.

3.) It's fairly easy to build one. Just make sure you know what you're doing. But even the most novice of DIY'ers can easily do it.

4.) Cheaper and you can customize it to how much RAM you want or how fast your CPU etc etc etc...

5.) Won't be marred with ugly branding that enhances the uglyness of the laptop itself.

Well, I don't mind points 1 and 2 just because I can get it fixed up the way I like it within an hour, and I don't format that often. Uninstalling doesn't take a very long time. Plus, I like not having to worry about driver CDs. Also for point 5, I think having the Sony brand name on my laptop is sexy, but I don't really like others. (I LOVE SONY!!!!)

I like ASUS branding the best. They don't put some bigass label. It's usually nice and discrete. Oh, and it's usually the same material as the case itself, which is usually brushed metal :D

Yeha, I agree. I've looked into them and they're pretty good. Either them or acer.. they have some good quality stuff for good prices...

Back
Top Bottom