2nd Hard Drive

(rād) Short for Redundant Array of Independent (or Inexpensive) Disks, a category of disk drives that employ two or more drives in combination for fault tolerance and performance. RAID disk drives are used frequently on servers but aren't generally necessary for personal computers.

There are number of different RAID levels:
# Level 0 -- Striped Disk Array without Fault Tolerance: Provides data striping (spreading out blocks of each file across multiple disk drives) but no redundancy. This improves performance but does not deliver fault tolerance. If one drive fails then all data in the array is lost.
# Level 1 -- Mirroring and Duplexing: Provides disk mirroring. Level 1 provides twice the read transaction rate of single disks and the same write transaction rate as single disks.
# Level 2 -- Error-Correcting Coding: Not a typical implementation and rarely used, Level 2 stripes data at the bit level rather than the block level.
# Level 3 -- Bit-Interleaved Parity: Provides byte-level striping with a dedicated parity disk. Level 3, which cannot service simultaneous multiple requests, also is rarely used.
# Level 4 -- Dedicated Parity Drive: A commonly used implementation of RAID, Level 4 provides block-level striping (like Level 0) with a parity disk. If a data disk fails, the parity data is used to create a replacement disk. A disadvantage to Level 4 is that the parity disk can create write bottlenecks.
# Level 5 -- Block Interleaved Distributed Parity: Provides data striping at the byte level and also stripe error correction information. This results in excellent performance and good fault tolerance. Level 5 is one of the most popular implementations of RAID.
# Level 6 -- Independent Data Disks with Double Parity: Provides block-level striping with parity data distributed across all disks.
# Level 0+1 – A Mirror of Stripes: Not one of the original RAID levels, two RAID 0 stripes are created, and a RAID 1 mirror is created over them. Used for both replicating and sharing data among disks.
# Level 10 – A Stripe of Mirrors: Not one of the original RAID levels, multiple RAID 1 mirrors are created, and a RAID 0 stripe is created over these.
# Level 7: A trademark of Storage Computer Corporation that adds caching to Levels 3 or 4.
# RAID S: EMC Corporation's proprietary striped parity RAID system used in its Symmetrix storage systems.

EDIT- For the record i posted this before kage.

Kage said:
i think RAID actually copies the same data onto both drives for backup purposes, though both drives have to be the same for this to work. Something to do with arrays.
I did make a thread about it, but I've forgotten what I said now.
Might be worth looking into again, huh? :p
Computergen said:
No kage that would be a specific type of raid also known as a Matrix Raid. Which in my mind is a waste of space. I also am getting another hard drive. I will be getting a 120GB Seagate Barracuda in addition to my 80GB Samsung....200GB of storage= ME HAPPY :).

I will not be forming a raid though.
Kage the RAID you are talkin about is the RAID 1 confg, and that is also known as mirror raid is computergen said. But i dont understand how its a waste of space. Because its 320 gb and can all be used with the RAID 1 or Matrix raid. And i personally think that it would be great for gaming.

EDIT- because faster load times = better gaming as far as im concerned.

Well i think that its twice as fast as a regular Hard drive, because it is loading from two differend drives at the same time. As for the rpms, i think that the max still is 7200 which is standard. But i have no idea if they are making that in 10,000 Rpms.

opps...i said 7500 (edits), I knew that didn't seem right.

I'm sure 10,000RPM will soon drop in price, but for now, it definietly is not the most valued of choices for someone wanting to pay money for more space than speed.

If this is true though, it seems to me, I'd rather do that, than buy a 10,000 RPM drive, yet, if one failed, what would happen to the other?

Kage said:
opps...i said 7500 (edits), I knew that didn't seem right.

I'm sure 10,000RPM will soon drop in price, but for now, it definietly is not the most valued of choices for someone wanting to pay money for more space than speed.

If this is true though, it seems to me, I'd rather do that, than buy a 10,000 RPM drive, yet, if one failed, what would happen to the other?
Well thats the one problem with these drives, if one failed. I think that other one would just be usless not sure tho, but i think that if i had that i would probly wanna back it up. But with technology now-a-days i wouldnt worry about it failing.

Well you should worry about it failing!!! :p Drives aren't that stable, I mean, I've had my fair share. Two went because of the damn power supply surging... :(

If it is the case that one would become useless (especially since they might be big drives to back up to another source), i'd rather stick to one drive...otherwise you'd have 4 drives, one dualing from one, and another two to backup those two :p
Rather complicated huh?

I'll definietly think about using a RAID though for mirroring another drive, as this seems the most useful for backing up purposes (don't have enough time to do so that much)

With this new information though, I'd stick with slower loading times :p

It might cost alotta money, but my personal opinion would be getting the raptor 30gb(or wut ever it was) 10,000 rpm hard drive for the OS and system stuff, and using the matrix raid config 0 for the gaming needs. and then you have the extra 160 gb drive, and that can be for stuff like ripping movies to ur computer or extra stuff you wouldnt normally do with ur regualr hard drives (no im not trying to promote illegal activities)

i just came back from the computer store and i was thinking that the 36 would be good enough for me. basically except for the os, i have 1 game (Rome) which is 2 gigabytes and thats it, then i have office, photoshop, premiere and thats about it
im not really a gamer, the only thing i basically do is video editing so thats the reason i wanted this hdd
thanks for all the comments, any more will be appreciated
thanks

well if ur gonnna only play one game, and do some video editing, and photo edition, you might wanna get the Raid mirror config. and all it is, is two equel size hard drives and writes the same data to both. if you are doing anything importand with photos that you dont wanna loose, or same with video, you might wanna invest in something like that.

Back
Top Bottom