Vid card oc:ing

mammikoura

Golden Master
I am currently oc:ing my vid card. It's a fx5700 (yeah I know, quite crappy but my goal is to be able to play F.E.A.R with it quite well)

So, I have now oc:d about 5% (core from 425mhz to 446mhz) and just a little bit of the vid card memory.
So my questions are:
About how good clock speeds can I get with stock cooling?
I know something about overclocking but it just seems that my card is almost on it's limits already and there has been only about 5% increase in the core clock speed.

When should I be seeing some increase on the performance?
Because now I really don't see any improvements on the fps of my games. I haven't benchmarked yet, but I will do it maybe during the evening, or tomorrow.

With videcards, without quite a large overclock, you won't get that much of a boost, and might only get about 5-10 FPS here and there, but I guess if you do have a good make of card, this is worth doing as it can at least send a dodgy jumping game to a smooth game.

There are some programs for cards that can overclock your card pretty good, and will test the limits for you. For Nvidia cards, I've heard of Coolbits to be great at this.
What they basically do is shows a 3d image, and when it goes to far, you'll start to see artifacts (dots and 3d errors), and so you can then back track to find best overclock your card can get to without them:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=201

Even though this takes a bit of time, its much better than trying to do it yourself, which might damage your card in the short run.

I hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom