How long will this last for gaming?

James0071

Baseband Member
I was going to buy a gaming computer, but I wanted to know long it will "last" for gaming. Couple of years? Year from now? Graphics maxed out, good FPS at the same time. Can anyone estimate?

ASUS EAX850XT PE

X2 Kingston HyperX 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM (3200)

AMD Athlon 4000+

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache

MSI RS480M2-IL Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200

I was really looking foward to Oblivion, I just hope this computer can run it at max settings without lagging horribly.

Thanks

Well, as of know, that will kill on games. As for the future, it will keep up without laggging for a while, but they keep taking radical steps in graphics, so i'd say a year.

an amd 64 4000 and x850xt pe. you dont have to worry for a long time. untill halflife 3 comes out, then you have to worry. i wonder how unreal 3 will perform on x800 cards without sm 3.0. we will just have to wait and see, i bet you it wont be that big of a performance using x800 cards with unreal 3.

halflife 2 source engine is not ever going to change, and they way i look at it, as long as you can run halflife 2 source engine with amazing fps. you dont need to worry to much about the future to much untill halflife 3 comes out.

before that half:life lost coast comes out i think, right? Also instead of making another thread, does anyone have benchmarks compairing the x850xt pe and the 7800gtx ? or simply which ones better, i cant member

That'll last you good 2 years i'd say. ONly thing you're really have to do is upgrade graphics cards, and making ram later on.

Gaming wise, I would say two years too. Moore's law. AMD is trying to improve on DDR2 and with the new socket M2, things can get blown up from there. Plus we can plan on seeing more PCI express hardware.

god everywhere i look almost everybody has a amd 64 with a 16 pipe card of some sort. very popular config, its also what i have

Back
Top Bottom