My new comp

habook2

Baseband Member
This is the proposal from my local comp store. Tell me if it's any good.

CASE ANTEC SLK3700 350 P0WER SUP $95

MOTHER BOARD ASUS A8VE DELUXE PCI EXPRESS $124

CPU AMD 64BIT 3500+ SOCKET 939 $235

MEMMORY DUAL 512 PC 3200 CAS2 (2) GIG TOTAL $138

HARD DRIVE WESTERN DIGITAL 160 GIG 7200 RPM SERIAL $90

FLOPPY 1.44 $12

OPERATING SYSTEM XP PRO 64 BIT $149

GRAPHICS CARD RADEON X850 PCI EXPRESS 256 MEG $349

DVD PLAYER LITE ON 16X $32

DVD BURNER LITE ON DUAL LAYER BURNER $65

LABOR AND INSTRUCTIONS $80

TOTAL $1368

Hey, that 64-bit OS is pretty good. I couldn't find one for that price.

That's a kick ass system. It looks good to me. The price is not bad either. That Antec power supply is high in price. You can probably get a 400watt one for lower. That's probably what I would do. You're putting in 2GB of RAM? That will work well for 64 bit computing. CPU and memory are very important in complimenting your OS.

DO NOT GET THE 64-BIT OS! You're going to have a hard time finding drivers for it.

It's 1 GB of RAM right? I don't see how you can get 2 GB for $138.

And, as TRDCorolla said, you should get a better PSU. I would recommend at least 450W, and that 350W is way too expensive.

He said that it doesn't matter so much the wattage as the quality of the power supply. And it won't be so much my job to find the drivers as mine, my dad's, and the computer store person. What's going to happen is that once a week ill go go the comp store and work on it with the manager's guidance, so he'll help me with all that junk.

Yep, a good system.

64-bit is quite good, actually. Performance drop isn't that noticeable, running 32-bit programs, and there are 64-bit versions of programs like 7zip and xVid codec, which show considerable performance increase over 32-bit versions in a 32-bit environment.

I'd say keep that PSU, but if you have stability problems, then replace it with a higher-wattage unit.

I'm surpised you all failed to mention the fact that he's getting a DVD burner and DVD player. That's pointless. A DVD burner does all formats and does them at normal speeds. So save yourself the 30 bucks and get rid of the DVD player. Also, 350W will keep you covered, but not by much, I'd say about 40W tops, and it's always safer to have extra watts. So you can get by on the 350, but it's probably better if you got something like a 400W instead because you don't wanna be like real close to the edge or anything. Have some room to work with ya know?

dont get 64 bit os you have terrible time finding drivers and lots of game issues. stick with the regular 32 bit windows xp. dont forget windows vista (next new windows to replace xp) is comming out in 2006. dont get the 64 bit windows xp thinking its so new and so cool. its not.

Back
Top Bottom