pc won't boot from cdrom

gartht799

Baseband Member
I am trying to get ghost to boot from my cd rom so I can restore a previous drive. When I go into the bios and set the cd to boot first the hard drives still boot first. I even tried to set all three boot priorties to cdrom and the hard drive still boots. I hit a key when it asks for it and I know the cd is good because I used it the other day. Anyone have any idea how a hard drive can boot when it is not even set in the bios? Thanks

I have been fooling with it some more and if I unplug everything but the cdrom, it boots from the cdrom just fine. However, if I plug in a hard drive, it skips the cdrom and goes right to the hard drive. I'm not sure why.

Okay, I did that and when the system went through its diagnostic it showed the cdrom as mater slave IDE-1, the HD as slave for IDE-1. It also was listed that way in the bios. When it booted up and the screen stated "Boot From CD", the cd light came on as if data was being read but when the screen stated to "hit any key to boot from cd", the light on the cd went out and the cursor just hung on the screen. I hit a key many times when it asked and nothing. The only way it works is if no other drives are connected. Its been driving me nuts.

I set the cdrom jumper to master and left the jumper off of the hard drive. This sets the cdrom to master IDE-1 and the hard drive to slave of IDE-1. If I try to put the hard drive jumper to slave the system won't boot and just puts out weird beeps. The bios shows everything in the proper place but the system does the same thing in that it reads the cd until it comes time to boot and it stops. It then either goes to the hard drive of IDE-2 or the cursor just blinks.

Another thing I noticed is that when a cd is in the drive, the message " boot from cd:" and then "press any key to boot from the cd" appears. When no cd is in the drive it just states "boot from cd:". That is it. Both times it either blinks a cursor or goes onto the next hard drive but it does recognize when a cd is in the drive. This doesn't solve the problem but may give a clue or two to someone as to what is going on.

Back
Top Bottom