First build help needed

next prob grapics, i have about £50 (inc vat) to spend on it ... i no this isnt much but i will upgrade it someday.... ideas?

Speaking of model numbers, AMD has apparently foregone a perfect opportunity to throw out its "clock speed equivalent" rating system that's increasingly less relevant over time especially now that dual cores are here. Take the Athlon 64 X2 4800+, for example. The 4800+ is literally a pair of K8 cores running at the same clock speed as a single Athlon 64 4000+, but it only gets a model number increment of 800. Too modest? Perhaps, but who's to say? Clock speeds aren't a faithful indicator of CPU performance.

Most notably, the X2 doesn't share the Pentium D's relatively weak performance in single-threaded tasks according to 3D gaming benchmarks. The Athlon 64 X2 also consumes less power, at the system level, than the Pentium D 840 just a little bit at idle (even without Cool'n'Quiet) but over 100W under load.

In fact, the X2 frequently outperforms the Pentium Extreme Edition and Pentium D, which costs nearly twice as much(Pentium EE). Thanks to its dual-core config, the X2 also embarrasses some expensive single-core processors, like the Athlon 64 FX and the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.7GHz.

k8, +4800 ..... wa? look give me the cheapest amd dual core, 64bit (PER CORE), 2.8Ghz (PER CORE) CPU you can get

if it is cheaper than 175 inc vat ill get it

PS i wont be play games on it and if i do it will be my older games eg GTA1/2 Hindden and dangerous

speed really doesnt matter anymore. its just like when people think that gfx cards performance is based on how much ram it has. not true at all.

look i will b doin cad work advanced mathmetical calcutions on this i need a good kick in it just give the amd version.. then i will deside, i will use amd if they will b more cost effective for me

Apologies about this but I kinda got confused half way through this thread, are you going for an AMD proccessor? if you are, your going to have to do some research on a new motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom