Need advice!!

Yuck yuck yuck alienware... I wound't go to them WITH money... sorry. ABS is ok though, and so xi. My fav. company would have to be either cyberpower or falcon.

jac006 said:
Yuck yuck yuck alienware... I wound't go to them WITH money... sorry. ABS is ok though, and so xi. My fav. company would have to be either cyberpower or falcon.

What's bad about alienware? The only thing that I see is that they are expensive compared to a similar one that u have built urself.

Exactly. Overcharge for a system you can build yourself and do better and not pay so much at all...

http://www.alienware.com/ALX_pages/aurora_alx.aspx
$4500
And you only get a 6800gt. For that price they should at least give you a 7800. Let's brake down everything what they give you, and see how much it would cost for pretty much the exact same computer:

Processor: AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 FX-55+ with Hyper Transport = $811

Ram:1GB Corsairâ„¢ XMS Dual Channel PC-4400 DDR = $200

HD: 74GB 10,000 RPM SATA - RAID 0 w/16MB Cache = $160

Video Card: Dual NVIDIA GeForceâ„¢ 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 = $600

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster®
Audigy® 2 ZS 7.1 HD Audio = $30

Let's throw in $500 margin of error in case i didn't pick the EXACT part they had, since many of those parts have tons of variations. And for me to be $500 off would be incredibly insane, and $200 for a case and OS. EVEN THEN I am $2000 shorter then Alienwares ALX, which is like there top of the line. And If i didn't throw in that courtesy $500, it would be $2500 cheaper. Thats why you don't go alienware :p

Well u happened to pick the most expensive computer, and ofcourse there the extra price is the highest.

But for example this:

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 FX-55 with HyperTransport Technology

Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 2

Alienware® 460 Watt Max Power Supply

alienware case

Alienware® motherboard based on VIA K8T800 Pro chipset

NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6800 GT 256MB DDR3

2GB Dual Channel Low-Latency DDR PC-3200 at 400MHz - 2 x 1024MB

250GB Serial ATA 7,200 RPM w/8MB Cache

16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive

Integrated 5.1 High-Performance Audio with Digital Out

3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive

Integrated High Performance Gigabit Ethernet

All that for $2,653.00

And that is a damn fine pc, and yes it's going to be cheaper if u build it by yourself, but the difference in a pc like this is nothing like $2000.

Man, the dual 6800gt is so out. Dual 7800gtx's. Get monarch's Nemesis with the new fx-57. haha.. of course, it's $4,000 but it pwns that alienware. I'd just go off newegg.com and go custom.

Okay, you got me. :p

But still, nice cases and stuff, and you can have trouble with building your own PC's, like failing RAM, breaking HDD's etc.

I sure wouldn't wanna put a CPU into its socket, lol.

Acutally, it's suprisingly simple. Just fit the pins in the correct place, put some thermal paste on it, and put the heatsink on! You're done! And it's less than 5 minutes..

lol, but when my dad put the Athlon 64 into the desktop we use, he was worried about static electricity from his hand, killing the chip. I wouldn't wanna hold it. That'd be £80 down the drain. :(

Back
Top Bottom