My church

pr8thr

Beta member
My church currently has four PCs running Windows 98: (I know OLD stuff) smile!!!
486/66 MHz processor, 200 MB hard drive, 16 MB RAM
Pentium/233 MHz processor, 500 MB hard drive, 32 MB RAM
Pentium 233 MHz processor, 2.5 GB hard drive, 64 MB RAM
Pentium II 533 MHz processor, 16 GB hard drive, 128 MB RAM

They are not very concerned about security at this time. The church does not have a lot of money to spend on this. I want to present a simple, inexpensive solution for my church. What type of network would you recommend and why? What role would you assign to each of the four workstations and what other equipment would you recommend? What type of upgrades might be needed?

Firstly, what will you be using the PC's for?

Maybe you could wait for the new VIA C7's to come out, cause they are really small, low-power chips that should be able to handle everything but gaming and video-editing, that sort of thing, which i don't think you'll be doing.

If you're gonna keep Windows 98, then you can go for 256MB, or maybe even 128MB of RAM.

But you need to tell us more; what will you be using the machines for, and how much will you be storing on them?

EDIT: I got your PM. In that case, you'd be best with 256MB RAM, cheapest hard drives you can find (Unless they're like 4,200rpm), and basic CPU's. I'd say you could keep the 533MHz PII, and buy a couple of Pentium 3's, if you can find any, cause they're good chips.

You might want to wait for the VIA C7 though, like i said earlier. They're probably gonna be real cheap; the lowest model will run at 1.5GHz, which should be more than enough for you.

Back
Top Bottom