Noobie Question

What do you mean when you say upgrade my Processor? And what will upgrading that do?

It will process much faster than your current processor. Performance will increase in every single way. For example, if you have a 1.0GhZ Intel P4, you can upgrade it to 2.4GhZ and it will be MUCH, MUCH faster.

Is it possible to upgrade from a 2.86 Gh/z processor to any higher amount to increase speed, if so what amount?

It's SCSI.

Yeah, you can upgrade to up to a Intel Pentium 4 3.8GhZ Extreme Edition. That, however, comes at a hefty price. I think on NewEgg you can find a 3.2GhZ for 200 or so. However, 2.86GhZ is enough unless you demand superb gaming performance. Then you would have to go AMD, and end up buying a new motherboard as well.

You can download Everest Home Edition, go to Storage > ATA and then on the right scroll down and find rotational speed.

It should say on the label on the HDD, but i'm sure you can find a tool on the internet which can find out for you without you having to shut down your PC and open it.

And upgrading your processor...well, it processes data, so it'd improve stuff such as video-editing, encoding, gaming, video-playing, music-playing, opening programs etc. It'll also multi-task better, with sufficient RAM (at least 512MB)

Extra RAM will allow you to have more programs running in the background. For example, my laptop only has 240MB of RAM available, so i don't have antispyware programs running in the background, and i use webmail instead of an e-mail client. Plus, i only use MSNM on it, instead of YIM and AIM, as they take up extra RAM.

HDD rpm matters, cause you'll be able to perform malware scans faster and have better peformance when accessing the hard drive with multiple programs e.g. playing a video whilst installing a program. I know, cause my desktop with a 7,200rpm HDD can scan for viruses a lot faster than my 5,400rpm HDD on my laptop (both using AVG Free).

Back
Top Bottom