Another Noob Question

Do you play CS:S? I do... I'd love to play you if you do. I used to play MOHAA, but that game is old. MHZ is (MegaHertZ) One million cycles per second. It is used to measure the transmission speed of electronic devices, including channels, buses and the computer's internal clock. A one-megahertz clock (1MHz) means some number of bits (16, 32, 64, etc.) are manipulated one million times per second. A one-gigahertz clock (1GHz) means one billion times.

MHz and GHz are used to measure the speed of the CPU. For example, a 1.6GHz computer processes data internally (calculates, compares, etc.) twice as fast as an 800MHz machine. However, the doubled clock speed of the CPU does not mean twice as much finished work gets done in the same time frame. Internal cache design, bus speed, disk speed, network speed and software design all contribute to the computer's overall processing speed and performance (overall throughput).
Users are often dismayed to find that they only obtain incremental improvements after purchasing a computer rated much faster than their old one. In addition, newer versions of software are often less efficient than previous ones. A faster computer is often required just to maintain the same performance level as the old software.
When referencing CPU speed, the megahertz and gigahertz ratings are really the heartbeat of the computer, providing the raw, steady pulses that energize the circuits. If you know German, it's easy to remember this. The word "Herz," pronounced "hayrtz," means heart. This was a coincidence, because in 1883, Heinrich Hertz identified electromagnetic waves.

Megahertz and gigahertz are analogous to a highway speed limit. The higher the speed, the faster the traffic moves. In a CPU, the higher the clock rate, the quicker data gets processed. The 8-, 16- and 32 bit designation is the CPU's word size and can be thought of as the number of lanes on the highway. The more lanes, the more traffic. The combination of speed and number of paths determines the total processing speed or channel bandwidth. Hope this helps...

Thanks alot :0 but no, I dont play CS:S. Im most likely going to be getting into it though because most of my friends play it already... Im currently into CoD.

overclocking is when your cpu works harder than it is designed to do. when overclocking (esp. with the new pentiums) make sure you have a good heatsink. If it overheats, the chip might break and might take some of your system down with it.

Back
Top Bottom