start up problem

Not sure on that but you can run a scandisk again to see if the drive gives you error messages again. At the first sign of bootup hit he CTRL key (If that doesn't work hit the F8 Key) That will get you to DOS. At the prompt type Scandisk c: or scandisk /all. Make sure you are at the C: prompt. That will try to repair it.

Also, you could try running it from Safe mode. Have you tried to boot into safe mode? First chance you get a successful boot, make backups of your personal data files or whatever and dump the drive.

billozz said:
hey guys,
i have a problem, i have 2 computers one win 98 os, one win xp os,
the 98 one goes through the startup routine then just sits there with a little dash flashing in the top left corner its drivin me mad anyone have any ideas what is wrong, i have loads of stuff on there that i need so hope its nuthin serious.
thanks in advance
Bill

Little dash flashing,it could be a console. Have u tried typing anything. If u can type then type CHKDSK (or something like that) and it might help.

hey guys,
ok i ran scandisk it repaired an item and deleted a filename and rectified a problem regarding the space avavilable on the disk. but it still will not go all the way throught the startup rouitine.2 messages in the order printed below.
"while initialising device vkd: windows protection error"
that stays for a few seconds then

"registry file ws not found.registry services may be inoperable for this session"

i have even put the win98 cd in and it starts to boot up from that rather than the hd but the result is the same

help please
thanks
Bill

Again I used to get this message.

You have to restore the registry to an earlier version that was operating ok. To do that follow these instructions-

1 Click 'start' and then click 'Shut Down'.

2 Click 'Restart in MS-DOS mode' and then click yes.

3 At the MS-DOS prompt type 'scanreg /restore' (without the hyphens)

4 Restart your computer.

Following this procedure will restore your registry to its state when you last successfully started your computer.

Please note that there is one space between the scanreg and / symbol.

I used to get this problem quite regularly. Something to do with '98 shutting down too fast for its own good. You used to be able to download a fix from microsoft, but I'm not sure if 98 is still supported??

Hope this helps and good luck.

ok the obvious error in my above post is that you cant boot to windows! So just start up in safe mode before doing the above. You should then be able to restart in MS-DOS mode.

Just hold down F8 at POST. Sometimes its F2 or even Ctrl. Should be in your motherboard instructions.

washington,
thanks for the post, i have tried what you said the comp just sits there saying checking system files but does nothing else is there any other way to reset the registry to an earlier date.
another error message that comes up is
"data error reading drive c"

hey guys guesss what , another problem managed to get diagnostic software from the drive manufacturer which was on a floppy. the floppy wouldnt work, power cable had come lose, whilst trying to reconnect the cable.......whoops think i must have connected the wrong cable computer just died, any one know if there is a fuse or cutout etc that might have tripped.
also any one have a pic of the right connector that goes onto a floppy .so i dont do it again.
sorry to be such a pain vry new to all this learnin by trial and error im afraid
regards
Bill

Back
Top Bottom