Motherboard & cpu don't work together?

ZeratulsDownfal

Baseband Member
Hey, I actually had this problem a bit ago, but slapped my computer back together to it's "former self" so it would work... But now I wanna use my new motherboard again... It has AGP (yes... my computer sucks... alot...)

Alright, here's the specs of my current computer... and i'll do the board after.

-XP Home Edition SP2 V5.1 (Build 2600)
-Whatever came with the compaq presario SR1103WM... The program i'm using says it's part of the "Gamila/Giovani/Neon Series"
-1x 2533MHz ZIF socket CPU, also came with the computer. 133 FSB (I think it goes up to 533)
-256MB DDR Single piece ram.
-Integraded Video adaptor, "Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller"
-Onboard.
-LMAO, a 56k modem, unused... computer has a total of 3 pci ports... yea...
-WD 40gb 7200RPM, and a WD 320gb 7200RPM
-dunno?
-Uhh... the one that came with the computer? (it sucks... 250... yea...)

With the new motherboard... it'll be using this...

-Same HD, therefore same OS...
-Chaintech SPT800
-Same CPU as before
-Same RAM as before
-An nVidia GeForce FX 5500 Overclocked
-Onboard.
-Only the 56k modem thing... i thought it was a cool colour :p
-Same hard drives as before.
-dunno?
-A nice 500W... dunno what make (it's like 5:50 AM, so i can check later for ya)

Here's what's wrong. Last time, when I slapped it all together, turned it on... It would stay in the screen, then freeze up. Took it in because I had no clue, they said it was the power supply (which is why I got the 500W in that one), and so I spent my money on the power supply, my friend told me they give you good deals if you buy (like they'll do more on your computer without charge...). So, I finally guessed it. My new motherboards COMPLETE information can be found here:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1043671&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

It can only support the following FSB speeds: 400MHz, 533MHz, and 800MHz. My CPU says it's going at 133, yet when I baught it, the stupid sheet of paper said 533MHz FSB (got it from futureshop... only reason was because it was boxing day...). So, is this like a changable option in the BIOS? Or is there something else, like drivers or something like that wrong? (I also used the Drivers CD for the motherboard and video card...).

There sometimes are jumpers numbered usually to 5, that you can change the sequence of and get lots of different speeds.

joshbennett04 said:
There sometimes are jumpers numbered usually to 5, that you can change the sequence of and get lots of different speeds.

So say that were set to 800 or something, and my CPU being 533 at max... would that cause the computer to kindof freeze up after being turned on for about a minute?

joshbennett04 said:

I looked through the manual again, and I couldn't find any jumpers... I looked extra-hard around the CPU, since that's the logical spot for it to be, but nothing anywhere on the board :\

Back
Top Bottom