AMD socket M2

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Ok Guys. I think this is pretty big news with AMD coming out with the all new M2 socket pretty soon. It will support DDR2.

The big news of course is the upcoming transition from socket 939 to socket M2. M2 will have 940 pins, and while the actual layout of motherboards with the new socket will be very similar to socket 939, processors will obviously not be pin compatible. The same goes for current socket 940 processors: they won't work or fit in socket M2. That makes sense, considering that M2 will require the use of DDR2 memory. The similarity in layout will allow motherboard makers to quickly adapt 939 designs to M2, however...

Read on here:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2476

Yup, it won't be compatible with the CPUs we have now. It's ok though. WIth newer CPU (hopefully that will have dual core options too) and new DDR2 RAM, that new system will "Own" like FPS Doug would say.

Knowing that the new technology is on the horizon, I will postpone my build on my Athlon 64 X2 system next year. Man, there's just no keeping up with technology unless you have all the money in the world to spend.

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!!!! I just build my system before dual cores came out....:-/ not like I would have had any money to buy one anyway.....whats a 14 year old gotta do to keep up with technology?! I can't get a job either :( as school is coming up :(. Technology can soooo suck. Although I do agree....Socket M2 X2's....with DDR2 RAM....those systems...imagine it...a

Toledo core 4800+ X2 CPU....with

2 of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146554

would those work?

omg....and dual 7800GTX's...with a raptor 160gb 10k rpm hd.....

:D

I won't know yet until there are acutally products out that will support it. It looks good though but if I do build a new system with the DDR2 supported chipsets, I'm going to increase the RAM to 2GB to work better.

Yeah it does have bad latency, but you can be sure AMD with all their inteligence will find a way around it and make sure it poses no problem.

Back
Top Bottom