Windows won't start

rsk64

Beta member
I have a hard drive, it's Windows and it won't start, it says: "Operating system cannot be found" or something to that effect, the files are all in tract. Is it possible to restore the hard drive? I have Windows settings and saved things in programs that I'd rather not have to redo, so copying the important files from the drive is really my last resort. It's OS is Windows XP SP2, 200GB. I'm new at this so if any further information is needed, please ask and I'll respond with it....

I ran Partion Magic 8.0 Windows Disk Check and it said:

"Windows found problems with the file system. Run CHDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these."

I don't exactly know what that means.... but if anyone uses Partion Magic, that mite be helpful....

Put it in as slave and tried to check everything, its all fine.... but when i try to start it as the main drive it gives me the, there no OS message....

rsk64 said:
"Windows found problems with the file system. Run CHDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these."

So I get u just have to run CHDSK. Just insert the Windows cd and boot from it. Then go to repair and it gives u the console. Type chdsk and press enter. Not 100% sure if it's going to work but u can always try.

Try booting in safe mode or with the 'last known good configuration' method. If that doesn't work, you should be able to use the Windows installation CD to repair it. If all else fails, you can always try reformatting and starting fresh.

It seems to me that either some system files have gotten messed up, or the hard drive itself is physically failing. In any case, I suggest backing up your files as soon as you can just in case it gets worse.

I highly agree.
I had a similar issue with an old 15 gig hard drive, it just would not work, and I did not want to format it, so I put it in as a slave drive in a different computer, and was able to get some files I didn't want to lose off of it, and surely, less than a week later, shishcabob.
totally fried.

Its not the drive, its new, I ran Norton Ghost and the power went out during it.... If i try to repair windows, will i lose data?

I'm going to try the Windows repair, but before I do I would like to know if there is any risk of losing data before I do so?

U shouldn't loose any video-, picture- or music files but if u have made some changes to ur windows they might get back to the defaults.

Back
Top Bottom