Hosting in XP

gsalmon4

Baseband Member
I have a website which im still construcing at home and I have a wireless router with 5 LAN ports which connects to my WAN Broadband. All the network and interent works fine.
Ive installed IIS & configured the ports and website route. I can see the website on my local LAN through other PC's but outside the network its unreachable. I think its because I have dynamic IP's such as 192.168.0.*** for my Pc (which seems to be the same all the time) and 192.168.0.1 for my router. Now i know that these are private IPs so how can i get around this? Will I have to set a external IP on my PC from say 1 - 126 for the first octet so the internet can view my website?

Any hel pmuch appreciated

Regards

GSSolutions

There should be a DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) setting in your web configuration for your router. This allows one computer on your network to be reached outside the network. See if you can find this setting... It'll say something like:

IP Address: 192.168.0.[ ]

And you enter your computer's network IP address in that box and click Enable.

EDIT: This is what mine looks like for my D-Link router web-configuration.
dmz.jpg

Hope this helps.
-Daniel

Just one more thing; setting this, is it not a security breach to allow hackers easily into my pc

When you set the DMZ, you're allowing anyone to access your PC... it's just like having one broadband connection with the cat5 cable running straight to your PC from your cable modem... or just like dialup.. you have the IP.. and your computer is open

When you say "im allowing anyone to access my PC" I dont really want that do I, I just want my website only available to the world wide web, but as ive configured my IIS should this only be the case.

Thanks

Do not do what "Dan" has said, if you did you would be placing your server outside the NAT firewall. Instead forward the required ports(such as port 80)but only forward the ports you need. That way only the ports you forward will be exposed to the net rather than your whole system which would be a huge security risk.

Back
Top Bottom