CPU temperature

The thermal paste is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT! Just because it seems to be running cool enough after messing around with it doesn't mean it's the right temperature or that it would work for someone else. You also must be sure to clean the heatsink surface and the CPU surface as instructed on that site I linked.

The whole point of paste is to fill in the microscopic pits and grooves of the surfaces to provide a greater contact surface. The stock pad that most heatsinks come with are wax-based and melt into said grooves the first time you turn it on. That stuff needs to get cleaned out.

Also, paste needs around a week to fully 'break in'. It takes time to settle into all the grooves, so you should notice temps going down over this time.

well, we did as the site told us to do, we put a little tiny bit in the center, and, well, the temp went THROUGH THE ROOF! rather than the idling 67C, it was 92C!
so we turned it back off, pulled the fan out, used isopropyl alcohol, cleaned the cpu and the heatsink off copmletely.
this time, however, we put the paste on the heat sink, and we made quite a few more drops on it, however they were all smaller than the original one we did last time.
when we booted the system up, we were pleasently suprised with a temperature of 49C.
at full load, it reaches 67C (the same temp it used to idle at! lol)
the fan we ordered should be here soon, and it will help quite a bit.
the stock intel fan runs a mere 2100 rpm, where that fan we ordered can run from 1700-3500. The temp should go down ever more after we install that baby.
(after cleaning with the cpu with isopropyl alcohol and applying paste again, of coarse.)
thanks a load for the arctic silver recommendation, I am very impressed with how well it worked, and to hear that it will continue to cool my cpu down even more is also nice to hear.

spank_fusion said:
The thermal paste is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT! Just because it seems to be running cool enough after messing around with it doesn't mean it's the right temperature or that it would work for someone else. You also must be sure to clean the heatsink surface and the CPU surface as instructed on that site I linked.

The whole point of paste is to fill in the microscopic pits and grooves of the surfaces to provide a greater contact surface. The stock pad that most heatsinks come with are wax-based and melt into said grooves the first time you turn it on. That stuff needs to get cleaned out.

Also, paste needs around a week to fully 'break in'. It takes time to settle into all the grooves, so you should notice temps going down over this time.

Damn you know alot about thermal paste man... What do ya do, brush your teeth with it? lmao (i'm obviously kidding... but... that would be cool... i'm have the coolest teeth in the world! Mewahahahahahahaha!... hehehe... bla...)

I dont know about everyone else posting but anything over 60C is getting pretty high... even on a full load. I have an AMD which usually runs higher than P4's and it only goes up to about 54C on full loads. You might want to think about getting more case fans or something.... My computer would freak out if it went in the 70's or 80's.... Dont risk your CPU, have good cooling....I have seen them fail before.

adamorris said:
I dont know about everyone else posting but anything over 60C is getting pretty high... even on a full load. I have an AMD which usually runs higher than P4's and it only goes up to about 54C on full loads. You might want to think about getting more case fans or something.... My computer would freak out if it went in the 70's or 80's.... Dont risk your CPU, have good cooling....I have seen them fail before.

Uhhh... my computer (the piece of shit that I use) came running around 65-70... It hasen't changed.

well keep in mind, P4s do get hotter than AMDs, and they can also take more heat.
(i'd just love to see an AMD live through 93C)

eh? a p4 with amd stock cooling?... huh?
I think I get your point, P4s heat up a helluv a lot more than AMDs..
my friend has a 1.7ghz amd, runs at around 42C idle, 51C load.
bigger gap for P4s, this system i'm on here is 50C idle, 64C load.

Back
Top Bottom